Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dbau One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 677  
Subject: Post Diluvian What? Date: 2/24/2000 4:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 19
Even if Gilder's discussion this month didn't name any specific good stock deals (in fact, the market's immediate reaction to his discussion of two specific companies pretty much launched XLA and TERN prices out of reach), it was an interesting letter nevertheless.

He imagines the world on a Noah's ark, floating in a flood of bandwidth. So, he asks, what comes after the flood?

He seems to envision that what used to be a tiny trickle of bits on the Internet will become a massive, meandering river of data. As we enter the world of abundant bandwidth, it will be ever more apparent that the main problem facing Internet users is not the size of the data payload that the net can carry, but the length of time it takes to get a packet of data from its origin to the place where we can use it.

In other words, after the problem of bandwidth comes the more difficult problem of latency. Bandwidth is only limited by the boundaries of engineering hubris (and we know and hope that companies will lay ever more more miles of optical fiber!), but Gilder proposes that latency is limited by physics: the ultimate constraint is the speed of light.

Bandwidth vs latency is a pretty interesting distinction, and something that surfaces everywhere in the computer business. For example, although your 24x CD-ROM drive may be able to transfer several megabytes per second, it still takes a maddeningly long time to spin up the drive and seek to a specific spot on a disk. So your CD-ROM drive enjoys high bandwidth, but it also suffers from very slow latency. By focusing on latency, you realize that what's needed in CD-ROMs is not a faster SCSI bus, but a more lightweight optical read head that can seek faster, or a way to spin up disks more quickly.

The Internet is the same. My personal experience - I spend a lot of my time working remotely - is that there is a big difference between remote high-bandwidth operations (such as copying one big file) and remote high-latency operations (such a listing a tree of remote files, directory by directory). The high-bandwidth operations are suprisingly speedy on today's already-bandwidth-rich Internet. However, the high-latency operations, limited by repeated round-trips across the continent, are extremely slow.

Gilder suggests XLA's Mirror Image as a company that's tackling the latency problem by caching data closer to the user. But a focus on caching seems incomplete to me: caching techniques simply put a band-aid on the latency problem by dealing with predictable, unchanging data. Eventually users will be frustated by latency when they want to use the ever-changing, delightfully unpredictable parts of the internet. We need to have solutions that attack the sources of latency itself.

Perhaps this is a good starting point for discussion on the board, so I'll stop here.

Can you suggest any investment ideas that come out of technologies or companies tackling the latency problem?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement