Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: azby50 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 660  
Subject: Re: lots of action Date: 1/6/2009 3:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
posted by frankdip on inside value usg board re todays action:

Recommendations: 3

MoPicks - you are probably right about the timing as I tend to be overly optomistic, however in my investing strategy time is not very important, a year one way or the other won't make much of a difference to me - much more importantly is that my thesis for the company's long term performance is correct. If my thesis is correct we and the cmpany will make money, eventually.

Today the stock is up 25% on the first Obama stimulus news that would allow companies with 2008 tax losses to roll those losses back for five years for their prior tax returns. This would allow a company such as USG to file amended returns reducing their profits for tax years 2003 thru 2007 based on their losses in 2008. This recovery of past paid taxes will go right to USG's bottom line.

Although I can not predict the actual stimulus plans my general theory is that home ownership and companies involved with home ownership will be big beneficieries of the new administration's tax/stimulus policies.

Frank
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement