UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Hunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Re: Huh? Date: 3/22/2004 10:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Posters, yes, cheap art, no. ;-)

Art posters on the cheap. Better? ;-)

I very nearly replied to the original post but couldn't quite find the words. This is sort of the idea, but it's semi-unfocused, and not really a commentary on the posters as much as my thoughts on art in general.

I think having art in the home is important. If posters are the only way you can do it, or are your preference, cool. Somewhere along the way however, I decided that original art is worth the money.

Looking around my house, you'd probably never guess that. I don't really have any posters, (except for the one in the bathroom, because the humidity in there wouldn't be good for anything else, unless I can find or maybe even paint myself, a little thought that's been rattling around in my head), but I do have a couple of signed prints of some kind and a couple of paintings (one of which is probably only fit to be hung in a toolshed, and I'm so ready to say goodbye to it, but it is the first piece of art I ever bought).

I'll never be able own an original Picasso, but I'd rather live with a blank wall longer and save a little cash and buy the perfect painting from a local artist. (Or as displayed in my office, the perfect paintings were original artwork of my then 4yr old, framed and hung), and I have another self portrait of hers created at age 8, I plan to hang soon.

I actually have a couple of paintings on my wishlist. One of the Fools I made friends with via these boards is quite talented, and I'd kill to own one (actually several) of her works, and there's this incredible painting on display at a local restaurant that I drool over each time we visit. I have the price for that one rattling around in the back of my head. One of these days I may have to go to the restaurant with a tape measure to be sure it's not too big for the spot I keep seeing it in my head (or actually on my bedroom wall).

Art is just one of those little things that for me is worth the money, but that doesn't mean that art posters on the cheap aren't.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement