Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I had a few slightly soft potatoes left over and decided to make potato-kale soup. After perusing a number of online recipes, this is what I did--and it was delicious!

1-2 Tblsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4-6 garlic cloves, chopped (I used 6...we're garlic fiends here)
some form of pepper (a fresh hot pepper, chopped, or red pepper flakes or cayenne or black pepper)
1-1 1/2 lbs potatoes, diced (I had 4 smallish taters that weighed a lb, peel if skin is thick)
1 qt broth or water
1 bunch of kale, thick stems removed, chopped
s&p to taste

(1) Saute' onion in olive oil till beginning to caramelize, then add garlic and pepper and continue saute'ing for a couple of minutes.

(2) Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil.

(3) Add kale and simmer till done, maybe 20, 30 minutes, depending on the type of kale and how finely you chopped it.

OPTIONAL: Mash the potatoes in the pot or puree the whole shebang with an immersion blender (that's what I did) or regular blender.

To make it sweeter for children, you might include a diced parsnip, carrot or zucchini. To add some umami flavor, saute' some mushrooms with the onion or puree in some ripe olives. For additional depth of flavor, add lentils before adding potatoes, maybe some chopped green beans, celery, winter squash or fresh or dried herbs. I bet this soup would be good cold in hot weather, especially with some fresh herbs to brighten the flavor.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement