Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: newsreporter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1193  
Subject: Potential acquisitions Date: 10/8/2012 1:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A Nike Acquisition Of Lululemon Or Under Armour Is Unlikely
http://seekingalpha.com/article/901861-a-nike-acquisition-of...

Nike (NKE) is one of the world's most recognizable brands, with famous athlete endorsers from practically all sports throughout the globe. The $43 billion company has a presence in nearly 200 countries and sells its product in a variety of brands that appeal to all walks of life. However, after a 14,000% return since 1980, and a continuous trend higher, this mammoth of a company/brand has recently hit a crossroad. The company's stock has traded somewhat flat over the last year with mediocre gains during a year when the market has rallied 23%. Consequently, rumors are beginning to stir and questions are being asked of whether or not Nike is preparing for, and if it needs, a high profile acquisition to create excitement and shareholder value.

As the company prepares for its quarterly earnings, some are concerned that Nike will disappoint and that its growth has hit a wall. When you take a look at the company's fundamentals, this perception doesn't make a lot of sense. The company grew revenue by 12% during its most recent quarter, and has a forward P/E ratio of 16.33 compared its current P/E ratio of 20.36, indicating earnings growth. The company returns $24 billion per year as an industry leader; however, compared to its leading competitor, Adidas (ADDYY), the stock is priced at a bit of a premium, and the hype surrounding the company has regressed. Hence, not only do some expect a high-profile acquisition, but some investors demand it.

The two most popular potential acquisitions are Lululemon (LULU) and Under Armour (UA). Both are fast-growing companies in the athletic apparel industry, with individual focuses. Lululemon concentrates on women's fitness while Under Armour is primarily a men's sporting apparel company. Both would provide excitement for Nike, and would also give Nike a competitor that is gaining ground on two different industries. However, the spark provided from acquiring either company, along with fundamental growth, would come at a hefty price.

If Nike were to acquire Lululemon, it would have to pay a premium that would be similar to a social media company's market cap. Lululemon could possibly ask for as much as $20 billion; and if so, then it would be hard to find any level of upside for Nike. It's possible that Nike could make an offer to Lululemon, but the chances of it occurring, I'd say, are slim-to-none. In regards to Under Armour, it would help in diversifying Nike's business, but it too trades with a hefty valuation. Despite recent rumors, speculation, and opinions that Nike will acquire one of these two companies, fundamentally I can't see it happening. Perhaps I am wrong, but with such a high cost, it would be an acquisition that could lead Nike to bankruptcy if unsuccessful-- and I don't believe Nike is willing to risk its place as the dominant company in the space. I think it's more satisfied with moderate growth, limited downside, and growing itself through innovation rather than acquisitions.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement