UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 62046  
Subject: Potential for 'Superquakes' Underestimated Date: 2/5/2013 5:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Just thought I'd give SP a heads up. That Cascadia Subduction Zone could be a killer.

http://weather.yahoo.com/potential-superquakes-underestimate...

Goldfinger and his colleagues have evidence that the Cascadia Subduction Zone, which stretches from Northern California to British Columbia, is also in the middle of an earthquake supercycle.

Over the past 10,000 years, 19 superquakes and four supercycles have occurred along the zone, Goldfinger said.

"These would typically be of a magnitude from about 8.7 to 9.2, really huge earthquakes," Goldfinger said. "We've also determined that there have been 22 additional earthquakes that involved just the southern end of the fault. We are assuming that these are slightly smaller, more like 8.0, but not necessarily. They were still very large earthquakes that if they happened today could have a devastating impact," he said.

</snip>

I wonder if Global Warming helps or hurts with Earthquakes?

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47732 of 62046
Subject: Re: Potential for 'Superquakes' Underestimated Date: 2/5/2013 6:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
intercst:"I wonder if Global Warming helps or hurts with Earthquakes?"

SO far, the global warming hoax has reduced the number of large hurricanes (and typhoons) hitting land.

Intercst has to really worry about tornadoes spun off from Cat 5 hurricanes which have been known to come close to HOuston where his condo is.

SP might have to worry about earthquakes. Intercst has to worry about tornadoes from normal thunderstorms in TX, from tornadoes spun off from hurricanes, from the hurricane itself.....

Oh..did I mention hail damage?

Yeah...places are dangerous...heck, TX could even get clobbered by the next New Madrid earthquake..now overdue...

t.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47735 of 62046
Subject: Re: Potential for 'Superquakes' Underestimated Date: 2/5/2013 7:53 PM
Recommendations: 1
Goldfinger and his colleagues have evidence that the Cascadia Subduction Zone, which stretches from Northern California to British Columbia, is also in the middle of an earthquake supercycle.

Is that the same Goldfinger who tried to knock over Fort Knox? Thank goodness for Pus*y Galore!

* second s removed for the profanity filter

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47738 of 62046
Subject: Re: Potential for 'Superquakes' Underestimated Date: 2/5/2013 10:38 PM
"Is that the same Goldfinger who tried to knock over Fort Knox? Thank goodness for Pus*y Galore!"

In another bond movie...they were going to set off a nuke under Silicon Valley that would trigger a major earthquake...and , what was it, flood the place......

Bond stopped them of course...I forget the heroine's name....

t.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47744 of 62046
Subject: Re: Potential for 'Superquakes' Underestimated Date: 2/6/2013 12:23 AM
A tad OT, but there's a Tsunami warning for the south Pacific.

A tsunami watch is in effect in Australia, New Zealand, and other places in the South Pacific after an 8.0-magnitude earthquake struck near the Solomon Islands, the U.S. Geological Survey is reporting.

http://www.businessinsider.com/earthquake-off-solomon-island...

Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47786 of 62046
Subject: Re: Potential for 'Superquakes' Underestimated Date: 2/6/2013 6:59 PM
Recommendations: 1
An excellent explanation for subduction earthquakes and the dangers for Cascadia is in this KQED video.
http://science.kqed.org/quest/video/megathrust-earthquakes/

PF

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48514 of 62046
Subject: Re: Potential for 'Superquakes' Underestimated Date: 3/23/2013 2:21 PM
"An excellent explanation for subduction earthquakes"

Perhaps Elvis has left the building?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNPTwk8NAYE

Howie52

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement