Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: davidausa Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 361  
Subject: Potential Threat to Kemet Date: 9/20/2001 4:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010920/phth010_1.html

Excerpt: Dr. Felix Zandman, Chairman and CEO of Vishay, stated, "...Our niobium capacitors deliver equivalent performance to tantalum, but are built on a raw material for which there are no significant availability problems or price fluctuations."

Anybody technically proficient out there that can provide an objective assessment of whether Vishay is going to eat Kemet's lunch?

--David
Print the post Back To Top
Author: delighted Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 341 of 361
Subject: Re: Potential Threat to Kemet Date: 9/20/2001 8:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Good question----i was wondering the same thing.

I like both KEM and VSH for the long pull. Dont know about eating Kemet's lunch but feel VSH has the better long term growth.

Author: abostick59 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 342 of 361
Subject: Re: Potential Threat to Kemet Date: 9/21/2001 1:54 AM
Niobium and tantalum are chemically very similar, as should come as no surprise from the names. (In Greek mythology, Niobe was a daughter of Tantalus). The use of niobium as a substitute for tantalum quite possibly isn't patentable, on the grounds that to so use it would be obvious to someone working in the field. If niobium capacitors take off, I wouldn't be surprised to see many companies make them, including Kemet, Vishay, AVX and Kyocera.

In general, I would expect that tantalum and niobium would be found in the same places. What's Vishay doing, reprocessing tantalum ore tailings to extract niobium?

Author: davidausa Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 343 of 361
Subject: Re: Potential Threat to Kemet Date: 9/21/2001 9:58 AM
Recommendations: 3
According to the article I linked in my first post (which, it should be noted, is obviously based on a Vishay press release), niobium is plentiful while tantalum is dear. Also, niobium has been recognized as a potential substitute for tantalum in the manufacture of capacitors for a long time, but the challenge has been to get niobium to be stable and workable in the manufacturing process. Vishay claims to have solved the manufacturing problem, and it is this process that they've probably patented.

--David

Author: bootchk Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 344 of 361
Subject: Re: Potential Threat to Kemet Date: 9/25/2001 10:33 AM
Another article:

http://www.ebnews.com/digest/story/OEG20010721S0002

Lots of articles from a Google search on "niobium capacitors."

The article says niobium is ten times cheaper.
But ten times cheaper normally, when tantalum prices are not inflated?
I think KEM mgt claims that tantalum prices will return to normal.

As noted in earlier posts,
the cost of materials is a small part of the cost,
off the top of my head, less than 10% of the cost.

The article says the same production lines can make both.
KEM can switch just as readily as VSH and AVX.

Author: drosophilosopher Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 346 of 361
Subject: Re: Potential Threat to Kemet Date: 9/25/2001 10:58 AM
Recommendations: 5
Here's a link from Kemet (dated 8/29/01) on Niobium vs. Tantalum.

http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kechome.nsf/vabypagename/new200122

Author: gmphap1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 353 of 361
Subject: Re: Potential Threat to Kemet Date: 1/16/2002 10:35 AM
Recommendations: 1
This link is not valid. The new link should be http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kechome.nsf/vapubfiles/sept01tctp/$file/sept01tctp.pdf

Thank you....

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement