Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Power dissipated in the component, P = V²/R, so for constant voltage, power goes up as resistance goes down.
//////////////
and/or splain this:
Lamp -- power cord: relatively thick, mostly cool
-- light bulb filament: relatively thin, seriously hot...
isn't the filament the part of that circuit with highest
resistance?
//////////

Yup, filament is the highest resistance in the circuit. Since all the components are in series, the current through each piece is the same. When the current is fixed, the <p>power deposited in each piece is proportional to its resistance. (P = I²R) Therefore, the cord stays cool and the filament gets hot enough to glow. (We'd be really upset if it were the other way around.)

Clear?

no.... but i'm maybe closer to seeing why i'm confused...
seems in one case Voltage is constant, and in the other case, somehow
Amperage....

but ? if V = I*R...... if R increases, no way Voltage and Current Both constant ?

-jp
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement