Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Steadfast7 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71  
Subject: Praying Over A Stock Date: 2/13/2002 4:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
That is something I don't think I've done before. I am a Christian, though I'm still in the molding process and pray about the important areas of my life, it just never occurred to me to bring stock investments to the Lord.

Sometimes I've wondered if my buying stocks were an extension of a less than noble part of me.

I was sure surprised at the Bankruptcy of Kaiser Aluminum. A couple of month ago I bought a few shares as an experiment to track some negative financial data. I got the info I wanted and then sold and seriously invested the money elsewhere. (Fifty bucks) nothing serious. Then KLU goes bankrupt. Now I'm wondering if it is speculation time? They were having a lot of financial trouble with debt and labor relations. From the posts on their board, it seems that the disgruntled employees clearly distinguish an affection of the company with the displeasure (hatred) of the management. There goes another group of hard working people losing their retirement and other benefits. They still would have their union retirement plan I suppose.

With NPW, I've averaged down to 92 cents. When this stock reverses, I'll be seeing red getting erased while gains grow at the same time. At 92 cents, I'll break even and although red will still remain on many purchases for some time to come, the gains will exceed them. It makes the recovery more exciting.

On other occasions when I've averaged down, it has made a much more pleasant experience. I usually plan an investment with a contingency to average down. I did on this one the second time I decided to invest in NPW and it was a good thing too. The first time I invested I had to pull out with a loss. I didn't see the external influences bringing the price down. I was using the fundamentals to base the investment and the external influences were stronger. The technical data is useless for me now, since I'm in for the long-term. I still refer to them out of curiosity. Don't want to lose those skills. This stock was on a recovery in November when Enron did the big splash and we are all still wet from it.
I want to be in this stock when it gets back into the $20's. Not just for the avarice, but for the life experience of being a part of something new and meaningful to millions of people.

Right now, Ken Lay is being filleted by the press and Congress. Thousands of people hate him and have focused on him and other executives to vent their anger. I suppose that I am capable of hate as much as anyone else, I just try not to use it when I don't have to. It clouds the mind to other nice things such as meeting cool people on the message boards and enjoying simple pleasures like a hot fudge sundae made with mint chip ice cream.
Extra cherry.

Oh yea, I was talking about Ken Lay. He did one good thing. If nothing else in his life was of value, he brought deregulation to the residential consumer. This is a major positive step in the breaking of the strangle hold local monopolies have had for years. Arizona for instance, is a state that desperately needs deregulation. APS has got much of the state under its thumb. Their politics and everything. Their competitor, SRP (Salt River Project), is the only other provider of consequence but they need more. That is one state that is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Actually, states such as Arizona would be low on the priority list, I would think, because of the small number of population in the state. It would be better to concentrate on states with higher population (customers) and the smaller states may deregulate as their citizens make a demand for it. I've mentioned before that my electric provider is community owned and deregulation wouldn't be of much value, but the city next to me (a larger one), is not and from the complaints from some friends living there, deregulation would be welcomed. Hopefully a true deregulation and not just appointing a different provider. Still the population is low and not high on the priority list I suppose. Progress takes time.

Well all this is just talk. Thoughts on the matter that have no influence on what the future may bring. It's after the bell, so I might as well find out what we closed at. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Take Care.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement