Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In this old post:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13570728

I linked to a Microsoft pinball game that features some historic games. I found that I like the older ones the most and even the one example of a flipperless game is entertaining.

Selena
Print the post Back To Top
Yeah, the Microsoft Pinball Arcade is really great. The only problem is that there is not quite enough randomness. I encountered several places where the ball esentially gets stuck, bouncing back an forth without variation, scoring points the whole time. While this can sometimes happen on a real machine (I've done it once), it got to where I could make it happen at will on the computer.
Still, getting to see these old machines is great, and it took a lot of play before finding the flaws, so it was worthwhile. Of everything I have seen, this is the closest thing to the real thing. I hope they will bring out others, with different machines, especially if they can do some of the Bally machines (Please oh Please! Bring out one with Eight Ball Deluxe!).

David
8-ball deluxe was released for Macintosh. It's still available on ebay. I don't know if it ever made it to the PC.
The pre-flipper games that inspired the pinball games we know today are excellent. As a kid I used to blow a ton of pocket change at Disney's Penny Arcade. There's nothing like the old-style baseball games where all you had was a button to swing a bat that would guide the ball to the backfences where your hitter's fate would be decided. They also had the early soccer arcade games -- which I imagine predate the foosball tables. And, yes, they really used to cost a penny in some cases. Never more than a dime.

Then Disney realized it can scrap the arcade and magic store in favor of a pricey athletic gear shop. The horror.

Nostalgia isn't cheap anymore. There used to be a drive-in theater 2-3 miles from my home -- now the nearest one is a 50 mile trek. There is a Gameworks by my house that houses a few pinball machines, but, other than that, finding pinball action in Miami is not an easy feat.

Rick
No. of Recommendations: 1
No need to wait, just go to arcadeathome.com and click on pinball at the top of the screen. Close the 50 pop-up ads. Then download the visual pinball emulator at the top, and download all the tables you want.

Eight Ball Deluxe

Oct 27, 01
1.9Mb

They have Eight Ball Deluxe.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks! Excellent site!

Best regards, MM
Advertisement