Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5608  
Subject: Pre-soaking brown rice? Date: 9/13/2012 1:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A few months ago, I read (but not fully understood) that pre-soaking brown rice for at least 20 hours (some say even 24 hours) enhances nutritional absorption, or supposedly reduces phytates (phytic acid). Before this, I used to just soak brown rice for about 1/2 hour or so to make it easier to cook.

Some of the links I read refer to the research of a Japanese researcher, Hiroshi Kayahara Ph.D.

Most brief overview on the research:
http://scienceblog.com/community/older/2000/A/200000373.html...

A blogger's reference to the above research, with photos:
http://www.theironyou.com/2011/11/brown-rice-soak-it-before-...

Another blogger, Stephan Guyenet, with more details about effectively reducing as much as 96% of phytic acid:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-way-to-soa...

Link to the research that Guyenet references to in his blog:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814608...

Some questions I have.

(1) I really have no idea what phytic acid (phytates) does nutritionally. Brief googling online mentions that phytic acid may not be the nutritional demon that some make it out to be. What is the thoughts on this board on phytic acid?

(2) Sometimes I don't remember to pre-soak brown rice with at least 20+ hours in advance, but I'll soak it as long as I can before a meal. I wonder at times if it is worth it. What do others do here?

(3) Various articles say to pre-soak at room temperature; at least one says to soak at 90°F. Some others say as much as 140°F. some say that the constant temperature must be the indicated temperature, but at home, I usually just heat up some water and add it to the pre-soak and let it gradually cool all night (and day).

(4) I have only started to eat brown rice on a consistent basis within the last year. I still buy and eat white rice frequently, largely because no pre-soaking is involved, but also it is cheaper; or I run out of brown rice. I usually buy long grain, basmati brown rice. This past weekend, I bought a 5 lb. bag of medium grain brown rice because it was only $3.75 and it has a tasty, chewy flavor and texture. Any significant nutritional difference between the types of grains?

Additional thoughts on brown rice and nutrition appreciated.

Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5433 of 5608
Subject: Re: Pre-soaking brown rice? Date: 9/13/2012 2:37 PM
I use 'instant' brown rice nowadays--it's pre-soaked and partially pre-cooked as far as I could tell, so having to soak it first isn't an issue.

Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5435 of 5608
Subject: Re: Pre-soaking brown rice? Date: 9/14/2012 8:27 AM
I use 'instant' brown rice nowadays--it's pre-soaked and partially pre-cooked as far as I could tell, so having to soak it first isn't an issue.

I have heard of 'instant' brown rice, but haven't bought it yet. I usually buy brown rice in at least 5-10 lbs. bags as I cook for two (with appetites as much as four) and usually make leftovers on purpose.

Lois Carmen D.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5438 of 5608
Subject: Re: Pre-soaking brown rice? Date: 9/16/2012 9:43 AM
Recommendations: 1
I've read that the healthiest way to eat grains and even beans is by sprouting them. I'm not doing this yet, but I have switched to sprouted-soy tofu when I can get it. (I do sometimes remember to sprout alfalfa and radish seeds for salads and mung bean seeds for stir fries.)

If anyone's doing the sprout thing, I'd love to learn more about it. I'm still adjusting to throwing away bean and grain-soaking water and rinsing them--and remembering to soak oatmeal the night before.

Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5441 of 5608
Subject: Re: Pre-soaking brown rice? Date: 9/28/2012 10:22 AM
I've read that the healthiest way to eat grains and even beans is by sprouting them. I'm not doing this yet, but I have switched to sprouted-soy tofu when I can get it. (I do sometimes remember to sprout alfalfa and radish seeds for salads and mung bean seeds for stir fries.)

If anyone's doing the sprout thing, I'd love to learn more about it. I'm still adjusting to throwing away bean and grain-soaking water and rinsing them--and remembering to soak oatmeal the night before.

Late in catching up, but I am not familiar with overall sprouting beans and grains? I only recently heard about soaking brown rice (and to the point of lightly "sprouting" them). Love to learn more as well. If I come across any information that I hope is useful, I'll add to this forum.

I am about to post a new thread on rice and arsenic. I wanted to continue it here, but I think it is a completely different and relevant topic, if anybody can participate on that issue.

- Lois Carmen D.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement