No. of Recommendations: 1
Pre-tax is the only way to go if you have the option and can invest in something worthwhile. You are already maxxing out your IRA, and I'm assuming taking full advantage of any employer matches with your TSA. I chose to max out my TSA first because it was pre-tax, and now am contemplating an IRA to diversify.

Pre-tax is desirable, as it effectively is, through Fed and State income reduction, reducing the amount one is paying into their retirement plan. For example, if a teacher earns $50,000/yr and contributes 10% of gross salary to her 403(b), her gross 403(b) contribution would be $5,000. But if her Fed + State marginal tax rate (tax rate paid on last dollar earned) is 20%, then her tax bill will be reduced by .2 X $5,000 = $1,000. So her NET household cashflow is reduced by $4,000 instead of $5,000, which would be the reduction if she contributed to a non tax-deductible savings plan. That's the good news.

The bad news are expenses. Unfortunately, for many (most?) 403(b) plans, the cost of this tax savings are expenses, and in some cases, exorbitant expenses that can effectively, over time, eliminate the tax benefit.

In the above example, assuming the teacher's wage rises by an average of 3%/yr and the average annual investment return with ZERO expenses is 9%, the future accumulated value after 20 years, assuming a constant 10% of salary contribution will be $316,525. With 403(b) expenses of 3%, this future value will drop to $233,504, while a Vanguard mix of index funds with an average expense ratio of .25% will result in a future balance of $308,412, a $74,908 (24.2%) difference from a typical high-expense 403(b).

So if a teacher's employer offers only a high-expense 403(b), it may be in
the teacher's best interest to contribute as follows:

1. To the 403(b) to the extent of employer matching (rare for most school districts)
2. Then to one's deductible traditional IRA
3. If not #2 (due to an adjusted gross income that exceeds the TIRA deductibility limit), then to one's Roth IRA
4. Then to a taxable brokerage or mutual fund account. If using a taxable account, it is generally best to keep income-producing investments (such as bond funds or income stocks) in the Roth IRA and growth funds/stocks in the taxable account.

This approach takes advantage of the 'free' (if any) contributions from the employer, very low expenses, full flexibility, full liquidity and capital gains tax rates in long term investments.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.