UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: folgore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35397  
Subject: Preferred stock question Date: 2/24/2014 11:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to determine if I should add money to a high yield preferred whose call date is on 9/29/14. The preferred stock is Santander's E series with a coupon rate of 10.5%. It currently sells for $26.70 and yields about 9.8%. I know a preferred or bond may not be called on the call date; it of course depends upon whether it is in the company's interest. In this case, 10.5% is a very high rate and Santander, whose situation appears to be improving, may want to retire this series and reissue a new series at a much lower coupon.

Their next dividend is payable on 3/31/14. Should I assume there are, therefore, three more dividends coming if it is called on 9/29/14?

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35205 of 35397
Subject: Re: Preferred stock question Date: 2/24/2014 12:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The best source of information is QuantumOnLine--

http://www.quantumonline.com/search.cfm?tickersymbol=SAN-E&a...

The ex-dividend date for the Mar 29 payment is Mar 13. So if you buy by then, yes you should receive three payments of $0.6563/share before the issue can be recalled.

This clearly a junk preferred (rated BB) and the dividend is non-cumulative. If they omit a dividend, you lose.

Author: folgore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35206 of 35397
Subject: Re: Preferred stock question Date: 2/24/2014 1:30 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks, pauleckler. I already have a position in this preferred and they have been good about paying their dividends. For me, the dumb question was whether the call date usually coincides with a final dividend payment or not. It struck me that the call date was a couple of days shy of when you'd expect the third quarterly payment to occur, so I was concerned whether that third payment would occur or not.

Now, assuming a third payment, I can calculate whether the high dividend is high enough to compensate for a possible redemption of all shares at $25. Perhaps the market has already brought down the price to what's still profitable.

In your experience, if a company is going to call preferred shares, how far in advance is it announced or is it announced at all? Do companies that wish to redeem preferred shares simply do so once the call date passes without any press release?

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35207 of 35397
Subject: Re: Preferred stock question Date: 2/24/2014 2:41 PM
As Santander is not a US company, I don't know how relative my experience is. However, with US companies, preannouncements can be elusive. Sometimes they make the news. Other times all you get is a notice from your broker. And even that sometimes lacks details.

Usually when they call an issue, US companies do pay the "interest" accrued since the last payment.

Author: MisterFungi Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35208 of 35397
Subject: Re: Preferred stock question Date: 2/25/2014 12:43 AM
Let me see if I have this right. You expect to get 3 more dividends of $.6563, or $1.97, and the preferred is selling at $1.70 over par, which suggests that it will get called at the end of Sept. So we're talking about a net of $.27 on an investment of $26.70 (i.e., approx 1%) in a somewhat risky, probably fairly illiquid preferred.

Am I missing something? If not, why would you want to do that?

Author: folgore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35209 of 35397
Subject: Re: Preferred stock question Date: 2/25/2014 7:56 AM
Because it also may not be called. Keep in mind that Europe in general and Spain in particular are in a bad way, so a September call is not a foregone conclusion. At the same time, Santander has been reliable about paying dividends on my current position, so at least I know that three payments are coming.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement