UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yobria Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75613  
Subject: Re: IRA vs. HSA? Date: 12/7/2004 11:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Preferred treatment of long-term capital gains makes taxable accounts more attractive for buy-and-hold (for at least a year) investments than it used to be.

Except in extreme cases, many hours of Excel analysis on my part shows the retirement account will always beat the taxable account. The tax free contribution and decades of tax deferred growth of IRAs and 401ks far overwhelm the lower cap gains rate.

Even if you have poor 401k investment choices, you'll be parting ways with your employer eventually (I recall reading the average US job lasts 4 years), and will then have decades to invest as you see fit after you roll over the 'k. Even if you're sure you'll never leave your job, you can lobby your employer for a better plan...competition is fierce and the average plan is getting better every year. Many 401k plans offer better choices than you could get independently- my girlfriend's plan, for example, offers institutional class Vanguard funds with far lower fees than you could get with a Roth IRA.

I would never favor a taxable account over a 401k unless I was certain I would be at that employer for decades, the 401k choices were truly horrible, and I was sure they'd never improve. Of course the Roth is a good alternative, but $3k/year isn't going to result in much of a retirement nest egg- you must max out the 401k in my opinion.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement