Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Where can I find a list of preferred stocks, their yields, etc. on Fool?
Print the post Back To Top
Best source is the list published everyday in the Wall Street Journal. WSJ is on line for subscribers. I don't know about the pfd list.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Where can I find a list of preferred stocks, their yields, etc. on Fool?

I don't think you will find one on the Fool. The best online source for preferreds that I know of is quantumonline.com:
http://www.quantumonline.com

Free registration is required (I believe).

As for discussion boards, preferreds are discussed most often on the REIT board, but those are generally REIT preferreds:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20458263&sort=whole#20460196

Ken
No. of Recommendations: 3
And by the way, perhaps we should mention again that now is an especially bad time to buy a preferred. Of the several hundred listed in the WSJ listing, all but a handfull are priced at a premium over their call prices. This is a normal effect of low interest rates.

Of the remainder, most are companies with uncertain finances. You wouldn't want to touch those unless you were certain their finances were going to improve. They are speculative investments at best (unless you have reliable information).

The final group are the few new issues that have not yet become popular and well known. They can be OK if you check them out carefully.

Also be aware that rising interest rates will cause all interest baring investments to decline in value. That does include preferred stocks. So you will be stranded with a paper loss until either the issue is called out from under you (probably at a loss) or interest rates again return to historic low levels.

Still they can be OK if you buy them right, hold them and then sell at the right time.

Something to think about.

Good luck.
Hello Paul:
....new issues that have not yet become popular and well known.

They can be OK if you check them out carefully.

Could you name some of these new issues?

Thanks,
sheilao

I haven't finished researching my most recent list yet. (I simply go through the list in the WSJ and mark the ones priced at less than $25/sh [or less than $10/sh] for further research. This alone eliminates most preferred issues.)

Of the rest, the ones with p footnotes are probably new issues. So two on my radar are--

CBTCS 03-10

PPlus GSG-2

They might be OK. At least the price is not yet at a premium, but do check them out before you decide.
Advertisement