UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Regulator Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75811  
Subject: Premature Contribution Date: 9/11/1998 1:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Seems I read somewhere that if you made your full contribution to a traditional IRA earlier this year and would now like to set up a Roth IRA, you can w/d that contribution and start a Roth w/o any penalty.

My father made his 2K contrib at the beginning of this year, but now thinks the benefits of a Roth as a supplement to his Trad. IRA might serve him better. Can he undo this before the end of 98? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5391 of 75811
Subject: Re: Premature Contribution Date: 9/11/1998 8:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Seems I read somewhere that if you made your full contribution to a traditional IRA earlier this year
and would now like to set up a Roth IRA, you can w/d that contribution and start a Roth w/o any
penalty.

Don't know if you can withdraw etc. but I would think not.

Do a transfer from the regular to the Roth. That should be ok

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5405 of 75811
Subject: Re: Premature Contribution Date: 9/13/1998 10:59 AM
Greetings, Regulator, and welcome. You wrote:

Seems I read somewhere that if you made your full contribution to a traditional IRA earlier this year and would now like to set up a Roth IRA, you can w/d that contribution and start a Roth w/o any penalty.

My father made his 2K contrib at the beginning of this year, but now thinks the benefits of a Roth as a supplement to his Trad. IRA might serve him better. Can he undo this before the end of 98? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What you read about was a means to undo the conversion of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA by transferring the money in the Roth back into a traditional IRA prior to April 15 of the year following the conversion. The easiest way for your father to set up a Roth IRA now is simply to convert the one he established to a Roth IRA.

Regards…..Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement