UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20586  
Subject: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/16/2012 7:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm hoping to finally go back to Paris next year. Nothing definite but my favorite time of year for Europe is autumn so my goal is Oct. 2013. I can't even contemplate a 7 hour trip in economy class -- not with my knees(!), so I've decided to splurge on premium economy.

I'm getting prices on Expedia, Travelocity, etc., of around $1500 (checking on dates in December 2012 and also April 2013 just to get an idea of charges) from JFK to CDG and return.

Any opinions whether the premium economy upgrade is "worth it"? Any hints for saving money on it?

Many thanks.
D~
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19005 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/16/2012 8:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I Googled "Premium Economy" and there are many entries. I think that it is airline specific as to what amenities you get.

Donna

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19006 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/16/2012 8:13 PM
Oh, and I found this: http://www.seatguru.com/charts/premium_economy.php

Donna (who helps this will help you)

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19007 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/16/2012 8:37 PM
Last month we upgraded our seats from economy to what United calls Economy Plus. We did it at the last minute, just a couple of days before departure, and it cost $400 extra round-trip for both of us, between ORD and PRA. According to the website Donna linked to, it costs more to upgrade in advance and less if you do it at the last minute, as we did. But you're taking a chance on availability if you wait.

The difference in leg room made it well worth the extra cost.

--fleg

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19008 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/16/2012 9:26 PM
To my dismay, there is little wiggle-room in price on trips to the Far East. As I am planning a trip in the next year to Japan, this just will not do it.

Fleg, do you think I might be able to upgrade on a Far East flight?

Donna

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19009 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/16/2012 10:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
To my dismay, there is little wiggle-room in price on trips to the Far East. As I am planning a trip in the next year to Japan, this just will not do it.

Fleg, do you think I might be able to upgrade on a Far East flight?

Donna - When I went to China (SF to Shanghai) they had lots of standbys. Rather than give business class to standbys they sold the business class seats to economy passengers for $325.

Now I know you can't count on that happening again but hey, you never know.

I didn't spend the money. My knees were 5 years younger and handled economy very well in those days.

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19010 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/16/2012 10:12 PM
Last month we upgraded our seats from economy to what United calls Economy Plus. We did it at the last minute, just a couple of days before departure, and it cost $400 extra round-trip for both of us, between ORD and PRA. According to the website Donna linked to, it costs more to upgrade in advance and less if you do it at the last minute, as we did. But you're taking a chance on availability if you wait.

Thanks, fleg. My question was prompted by seeing your post which included the $400 upgrade. Thanks for the info regarding upgrades at the last minute.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19011 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/17/2012 1:27 AM
do you think I might be able to upgrade on a Far East flight?

My last Far East flight was in 1998 on Singapore and we never thought about upgrades, so I have no information.

--fleg

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19013 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/17/2012 1:02 PM
...Any hints for saving money on it?...

Thinking outside the box;

If I remember correctly repositioning cruises are about that time of year and relatively inexpensive. You could take one of those one way.

It might also be worthwhile checking flights to see if you could spend a few days in Iceland or the Azores which might break the flights into shorter segments that might be tolerable and give you someplace new to see.

Author: SABOB Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19014 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/17/2012 11:19 PM
Just did reservation LAX to Melbourne (R/T) for an extra about $150 each way Economy+ on United. $400 sounds like a lot unless you are counting from home with an additional leg.

I am trapped on United with lots of miles under Mileage Plus program. On that airline, Economy+ is an enormous advantage in terms of space.

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19015 of 20586
Subject: Re: Premium Economy - Advice, please Date: 10/18/2012 9:30 PM
I went to/from Europe last summer on repositioning cruises (but you need time to do that). I'm taking the Queen Mary back to Europe in January (at about $800, one way).

That said, sometimes a round the world air fare makes sense if looking to go to Asia and back (might cost the same and give flexibility of more stops).

Jeff

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement