No. of Recommendations: 0
Good Evening, Fellow Fools

I have heard different opinions from different people regarding paying off (or paying ahead) one's home mortgage vs investing that money in, say, a 500 Index Mutual Fund.
It has been said (if I remember correctly), that over the course of the long haul, the stock market performs better than 10%, which is, of course, higher than the current percentage rate on most mortgages.

However, even though I have been periodically investing with the Vanguard Index 500 (indeed, I have chosen my workplace's Deferred Compensation package to be invested in the 500 Fund), my conservative investment side of me tells me that the 10%-plus average return of the stock market in the future is always in doubt and it is better to pay off the mortgage if one has the ability to do so. At least then, one can sleep well knowing he/she has conquered one of life's greatest debts, no?

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer to this; I am just curious as to what my Fellow Fools out there in
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement