Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Sloopy54 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121189  
Subject: Prepayment of Services to a Contractor Date: 8/10/2001 1:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

A cash basis taxpayer prepaid $10,000 to have improvments made to his swimming pool, The contractor only made $2,000 of improvements and then ceased activity, leaving the remainder of the work uncompleted.

I was wondering if this taxpayer can claim a non business bad debt deduction for the amount above the adjusted basis of $2,000?, the only problem is that this doesn't seem like it is a bad debt because it is a prepayment and the debt is not entiely worthless. Can anyone help me??

Thank you,

Nick
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tkmbt82 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53264 of 121189
Subject: Re: Prepayment of Services to a Contractor Date: 8/12/2001 12:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
What happened to the contractor, did they skip town or go bankrupt?

Some quick ideas: If the contractor went bankrupt, you may have a bad debt loss, i.e. short-term capital loss treatment. If the contractor skipped town you may have a theft loss, i.e. schedule A (form 1040) loss.

Author: kktice Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53324 of 121189
Subject: Re: Prepayment of Services to a Contractor Date: 8/14/2001 12:04 PM
This loss is not a "bad debt",as the taxpayer did not "loan" the money to the contractor, but paid for services to be rendered. I suppose that there might be an opportunity for a casualty or theft loss deduction from ordinary income- which is deductible first by reducing by $100, then to the extent the the loss exceeds 10% of adjusted gross income. See Internal Revenue Code section 165(h)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement