Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Runemage One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 40754  
Subject: Prescription drug side effects and interactions Date: 12/2/2012 7:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If there's a better board to post this information on, please let me know.

A new website has been created and it gives individuals the opportunity to check if any of their prescription drugs interact adversely.

https://www.rxisk.org/Default.aspx

Rune
Print the post Back To Top
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38074 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 12:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is actually a great website in that it's designed to co-opt the patient into the drug safety reporting and vigilance process.

This is especially valuable here in the US. I see from his rap sheet that David Healy attempts to expose the oftentimes nefarious acts of the pharmaceutical industry but misses out on what has to be the most likely to cause these unwarranted drug interactions/unwanted or unnecessary side effects......and that's the explosion of direct-to-consumer advertising. I suspect he must be pretty much permenantly based in the UK and insulated or he'd, for sure, have that at the top of his list.

Something to bear in mind when listening to the TV ads for drugs that apparently appear the FDA's database for most reported drugs for side effects. I have a shrewd idea that a good many physicians long for the good old days when all they had to deal with during a working day was the occasional drug rep trying to peddle their wares. Now it's the demanding patient who wants the latest sleep aid or "cure" for low-T.....confident in their skill to discern potential side effects from the list rattled off at the end of the ad. and "decide for themselves"

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38075 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 1:40 PM
If you have all your prescriptions at one pharmacy, your pharmacist is the one whose computer programs will catch any known unfavorable interactions or even dosages outside the normal range.

Of course, your pharmacist often does not know details of your medical situation. That can limit his/her ability to catch things. Sadly there is still the problem of unreadable handwriting. I suppose phone calls are the norm if there is a question. But if your prescription is misread as something with a similar name, that can be overlooked.

Thank goodness for those who routinely refill certain prescriptions. They at least have time to know what they are getting and package inserts tell you what interactions are a concern and what to watch for.

An alert patient or caregiver can also be a lifesaver.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38076 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 2:28 PM
misses out on what has to be the most likely to cause these unwarranted drug interactions/unwanted or unnecessary side effects......and that's the explosion of direct-to-consumer advertising....the demanding patient who wants the latest sleep aid or "cure" for low-T.....confident in their skill to discern potential side effects from the list rattled off at the end of the ad. and "decide for themselves" "

But it's still the doctor who decides whether or not to write out the Rx for that requested med. And if the doctor says....it sounds great in the ad, but it'll interact badly with this and that med you're already on, so I can't allow you to take it....

sheila

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38077 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 2:29 PM
Sorry for the incomplete formatting. In case that initial post wasn't clear....

misses out on what has to be the most likely to cause these unwarranted drug interactions/unwanted or unnecessary side effects......and that's the explosion of direct-to-consumer advertising....the demanding patient who wants the latest sleep aid or "cure" for low-T.....confident in their skill to discern potential side effects from the list rattled off at the end of the ad. and "decide for themselves" "

But it's still the doctor who decides whether or not to write out the Rx for that requested med. And if the doctor says....it sounds great in the ad, but it'll interact badly with this and that med you're already on, so I can't allow you to take it....

sheila

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38078 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 3:52 PM
And if the doctor says....it sounds great in the ad, but it'll interact badly with this and that med you're already on, so I can't allow you to take it....

Well, I guess this is the way it's supposed to go, right? A doctor-patient relationship whereby both sides recognise that it's something of an unequal partnership but with respect on both sides.

....the patient will either say, "Wow, doc.....thank gawd I had the gumption to ask and thank you for the heads-up. Let me forget about that Thank you. Thank you. Thank you..."

or

....the patient (full of the confidence of their Internet derived education) will inform said doc that maybe they didn't learn about this at medical school (we've heard that one before. right?) and, judging from questions they've had answered on sites such as TMF Health & Nutrition board, they feel fully equipped to fire the doc and shop around for someone who's willing to honour the message that "The customer is always right"

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38079 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 3:58 PM
Sadly there is still the problem of unreadable handwriting.

A "handwritten prescription"? Yikes, I thought they died out when I sold my practice.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38080 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 4:32 PM
and, judging from questions they've had answered on sites such as TMF Health & Nutrition board, they feel fully equipped to fire the doc and shop around for someone who's willing to honour the message that "The customer is always right"

To take that in two parts....

they feel fully equipped to fire the doc and shop around for someone who's willing to honour the message that "The customer is always right"

It's still the doc's responsibility, or lack of. This time the new doc rather than the one that was left behind.

judging from questions they've had answered on sites such as TMF Health & Nutrition board, they feel fully equipped to fire the doc and ...

As inaccurate--though dearly held--a view as insisting that ad-manipulated patients are calling the shots and forcing docs to mis-prescribe for them.

sheila

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38081 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 5:06 PM
It's still the doc's responsibility, or lack of This time the new doc rather than the one that was left behind.

Not necessarily.

It may surprise you to know, but there's such a thing as "doctor shopping".....as in, if someone can't get the prescription they want from one provider, they move on to the next, leaving their medical history behind them (actual physcians who might be lurking will recognise the scenario I'm describing) The precribing physician is still 100% accountable, though......believe it or not..... even in the situation of a patient lying about or misrepresenting their condition.

As inaccurate--though dearly held--a view as insisting that ad-manipulated patients are calling the shots and forcing docs to mis-prescribe for them.

Not forcing.....more like bamboozling, finagling, conniving to, providing pressure for inappropriate prescribing. Even given the minimal prescription writing I did back in the day, I have to admit that I've been conned more than once (actual physicians who might be lurking will recognise the scenerio....)

Author: martybl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38082 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 10:05 PM
Recommendations: 3
A "handwritten prescription"? Yikes, I thought they died out when I sold my practice.

I think you're pretty much right. The government has used a combination of carrots and sticks to get providers to convert to electronic medical records (EMR). In its usual manner, it has established criteria for "meaningful use" of the EMR, one of which is E-prescribing.

To write a prescription now, I go through a couple menus and enter the prescription information into our EMR. The EMR automatically performs its version of checking for drug interactions, and requires electronic acknowledgement of any interactions before the prescription can be entered.

Most prescriptions are then electronically transmitted to the pharmacy. The EMR requires a hard copy for ANY controlled substances, and those are printed for an ink signature.

While the government's implementation of the EMR requirement has been a bit heavy-handed, the overall results are good. The "unreadable handwriting" problem is pretty much in the past, which is good, as my writing hasn't improved with age.

martybl

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38083 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/2/2012 10:23 PM
It's still the doc's responsibility, or lack of This time the new doc rather than the one that was left behind.
Not necessarily.

It may surprise you to know, but there's such a thing as "doctor shopping".....

No surprise. I realized what you were talking about. And determination to get a Rx for a particular drug isn't based just on TV ads. It can be because of what someone has heard from a friend, a family member, someone else they talked with.

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38084 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/3/2012 5:28 AM
To write a prescription now, I go through a couple menus and enter the prescription information into our EMR. The EMR automatically performs its version of checking for drug interactions, and requires electronic acknowledgement of any interactions before the prescription can be entered.

Most prescriptions are then electronically transmitted to the pharmacy. The EMR requires a hard copy for ANY controlled substances, and those are printed for an ink signature.

While the government's implementation of the EMR requirement has been a bit heavy-handed, the overall results are good. The "unreadable handwriting" problem is pretty much in the past, which is good, as my writing hasn't improved with age.

My handwriting is pretty good but I still applauded the "incentives" to do this....even though it would've been a bit budensome for me.

This site isn't so much designed for patients to check for possible drug interactions, though, as to provide for a supposedly more efficient/timely/effective system of raising an early red flag on side effects.......seeing as the pharmaceutical industry is apparently making a concerted effort to "off" us all in cahoots with shills from *Official Medicine*.

That cute boy Ben Goldacre has a new book due out in the US in Feb. http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Pharma-Companies-Mislead-Patients/.... I'm get my copy a little earlier for Christmas from my SIL in England (along with my "I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that..." tee shirt)

Author: ilmostro Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38103 of 40754
Subject: Re: Prescription drug side effects and interacti Date: 12/14/2012 5:11 PM
Recently read about grapefruit and drug interactions. Wasn't pretty.

Bryan

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement