UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3079  
Subject: Pretty head covering ideas Date: 12/28/2006 8:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Feeling extremely tired and drained right now. Please forgive me if this isn't clear. I'll read this thread tomorrow morning and I hope one or two people will have ideas.

Would any of you might have inexpensive ideas for a young woman's head covering, like a scarf or other? Unfortunately I'm fashion challenged, but I was thinking some sort of colorful, or shiny (fake silk perhaps) type of scarf or wrap around might be a good gift. At this small transitional housing facility (residents stay often for a few months at a time), there are a group of young women domestic violence (or other) survivors that often do each other's hair: they color it, bleach it, and do it all over again. For background, when they have little else, they sometimes fuss over their hair and each other in these oddly intimate and trusting moments. The problem about doing this too often or inexpertly is that often hair can be damaged quite a bit, or even result in hair loss (usually temporary). One of the young women there was having her hair treated again. Unfortunately, almost all of her hair broke off (fell out?). This young woman who has survived more than most of us could even dream of (nightmares of?) broke down in tears. She can be tough, stoic, abrasive in some ways, but quiet. She's taken quite a lot of physical and emotional pain and disappointment all with barely a word. She's well-liked by the others as she doesn't mess around or take up the spotlight.

But losing her hair, one of the few things she still had and loved generally, hurts. I mean it hurts me to watch her cry; she's been unmoved till now. But her crying jag was relatively brief and then she just went back to relatively stoic again and now wearing a winter cap/hat thing someone gave her.

Can anyone give me a sense of how to find (or how to ask for) one of these head scarves? Can it be any (cheap) pretty scarf of minimum size and dimensions? (And what sizes should it be?) Do you think it should be brightly colored, shiny, or subdued? For the head, what types of textures are comfortable?

Also, is there some pictures or links online that gives instructions how to tie a head scarf? I'm not sure that this young woman has done this before, but I'd like to be able to perhaps show her, or work with her on it.

I'll also talk to her quietly about it and offer it to her, then. She's been seemingly okay, nodding and acknowledging it and just trying to get over it, but clearly it's an effort. She's tough and I know she's trying to ignore it, but I want to give her something to make her feel a little better. BTW, it cannot be anything "expensive" since it's risky for the residents to have something too obvious, but inexpensive (and preferably machine washable, or hand washable) easy-care articles are fine.

I'm planning to stop by tomorrow afternoon, I think, so I have some time in the morning to hit some local accessories places and find something, maybe at least two different patterns, or colors.

Of course if anybody also thinks this is a bad idea, please let me know.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement