Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MrArbitrage Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 54611  
Subject: Price War Date: 1/28/2002 1:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Headlines:
update Intel and Advanced Micro Devices are wielding the scissors again, as the chipmakers on Monday trimmed prices for desktop PC processors by up to 19 percent.

I'm sure that's not news to most of you but I bring it up because I think it is significant.

"Intel is a cyclical". That's the common justification I get after I point out Intel's extraordinary earnings multiple. Well, it looks like Intel is following the business model of the auto "cyclicals". It doesn't look very auspicious for Intel and AMD to find themselves in a aggresive pricing war. Although, it looks quite auspicious for consumers. That shouldn't be a surprise. The consumer always wins out in the technological evolution. Competition heats up, Tech gets cheeper and quality actually gets better.

When a cyclical gets a favorable cycle, they need to get the profits while they can because the well will dry up again. That's why you call it a cyclical. When you find your company in a war with another chip maker, you can slash prices and retain marketshare for little profit or you can keep profit margins and lose marketshare. That's fine, but you are in a "catch 22" situation.

Intel will continue to be a great company. The question is how do you justify a multiple of almost 200 times EPS when your profits are going backwards by double digits while your cycle is supposedly turning favorable?

This is the same deal that is going down with the automotives. Hell yes they are selling cars like hotcakes, but at what cost?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement