Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FireAntQueen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35757  
Subject: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/25/2005 5:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 25
Primary Children's hospital in Salt Lake City is doing a big fund drive right now. What this entails is that every grocery/big box store in Utah asks its customers if they could care to donate a dollar to the hospital. Now, I happen to think it is a good cause and dutifully said "yes" at several locations over the past week. Yet I can't help feeling very resentful that I was being extorted to give $$ at the register by the cheerful clerk.

So...DH and I were leaving Sam's Club yesterday, had made it though the register with no "question" and got to the lady who checks the receipts at the doorway. Now, this particular lady is really annoying. DH and I have taken to calling her "chatty Kathy", as she likes to yak about anything to everyone. This results in a line of people waiting to leave the store. You've already fought the crowds in the Club, waited in line to pay, and now you wait in line again. It gets a little old.

So, she finally gets to our cart, sorts through our purchases, makes a comment on the "beautiful gerber daisies" and then asks us The Question. "Would you care to give a dollar to support Primary Children's hospital"?

I cheerfully and kiddingly responded, "No. We don't believe in hospitals. Don't you know that 90% of people who die, die in hospitals?"

Well, Utahns (Mormons, actually) aren't known for their humor. This lady was so offended at what I said that she said, "Well, I certainly HOPE YOU NEVER HAVE A CHILD THAT NEEDS TO GO THERE!"

We walked off. But you know, I am still pissed about that. I guess we were being extorted.

DH says that next time someone asks that question, we need to say, "Heck no, they killed the last kid we sent there." I can't wait. ;)

FAQ

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29688 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/25/2005 7:53 PM
Recommendations: 0
I guess we were being extorted.

Just another form of McCarthyism, which seems to have made a big comeback.

Careful, next time you go through the line you may find yourselves being "those people".

Savagegrace

Author: LifeBystander Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29689 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 8:43 AM
Primary Children's hospital in Salt Lake City is doing a big fund drive right now. What this entails is that every grocery/big box store in Utah asks its customers if they could care to donate a dollar to the hospital. Now, I happen to think it is a good cause and dutifully said "yes" at several locations over the past week. Yet I can't help feeling very resentful that I was being extorted to give $$ at the register by the cheerful clerk.

This "register extortion" is getting really out of hand here in VA...every drugstore, every grocery store, every hardware store is holding some sort of fundraiser for some children's hospital, children's disease, or some specific child's expensive surgery needs (usually involving a transplant). I get asked, then I look up on the wall where the "symbols of giving" are taped (usually some cutesy paper cutout with the donor names on them), and say, "No-it looks like you've got enough names on your wall. I'll send them a check instead."

I go home, Google the charity to see if they're on any "questionable fraud" list, try to find out what percentage of their donations actually go to the cause (and not the administration of it), then send a check.

If the fundraiser is for CHKD (Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters--don't ask--too colonial around here), then I skip it--this hospital has flooded the area with thrift stores, and they make a killing each weekend. They also have a preemie incubator (to pluck your heartstrings) set up at the exit door from Sam's to collect change...like we have any change after shopping at Sam's!

Author: LCKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29691 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 10:20 AM
Recommendations: 2
This "register extortion" is getting really out of hand here in VA

Roger that, and add to it the kids out in front of the market extorting... er, selling candy/cookies ... to support this or that school activity.

My standard answer: "All of my charitable contributions are made to animal or environmental-related charities."

And I back that up by writing plenty of checks over the course of the year -- I'm on every save-the-whales-tigers-elephants-rhinos mailing list in creation.

LCK

Author: ErinKG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29692 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 2:07 PM
Roger that, and add to it the kids out in front of the market extorting... er, selling candy/cookies ... to support this or that school activity.

I hate that crap too - not the cookies, but the kids selling them. I buy my cookies from someone in the office who has a daughter that sells them. I don't have to deal with the little brats this way.

My standard answer: "All of my charitable contributions are made to animal or environmental-related charities."

I say something similar - "I only give to the animals".

Worse than the kids, almost, are the homeless guys that go door to door asking for donations to their homeless center, or whatever it's called. Yeah, like I'm going to give money to a homeless guy that comes to my door. Whatever.

Erin

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29693 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 2:10 PM
Worse than the kids, almost, are the homeless guys that go door to door asking for donations to their homeless center, or whatever it's called. Yeah, like I'm going to give money to a homeless guy that comes to my door. Whatever.

Whoa! Some guy came to my door "selling newspaper subscriptions" and I told him if I saw him in the complex again I'd call the police.

Author: ErinKG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29694 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 2:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
Whoa! Some guy came to my door "selling newspaper subscriptions" and I told him if I saw him in the complex again I'd call the police.

I just don't answer the door anymore. Ever. I'm planning on getting one of those wireless cameras that will send the picture to my TV. I'll know who's at the door by changing the channel. hehe

E

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29695 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 2:15 PM
I just don't answer the door anymore. Ever. I'm planning on getting one of those wireless cameras that will send the picture to my TV. I'll know who's at the door by changing the channel. hehe

I have a peephole - I live in a frickin' gated complex though, people like that are NOT supposed to get in.

Author: ErinKG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29696 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 2:36 PM
Recommendations: 5
I have a peephole - I live in a frickin' gated complex though, people like that are NOT supposed to get in.

Lucky. Well, kind of - I don't like the fees involved with those kinds of places and I really like old houses. I live in the middle of Portland, fairly close-in to the city, in a pretty nice neighborhood. That seems to attract tons of these jerks. I wish I had a peephole. Our door has windows in it.

That reminds me of a funny story. I used to be a mormon in HS for about a year (my friend was mormon and I loved the dances, go figure). So, I quit the mormons about 15 years ago, but they didn't know. Once in a while they would call my mom's house, but she never told them where I lived, until one day she slipped and said I lived in Portland. About a week later (this was a few years ago), they showed up at my door. I was very friendly and talked to them for a minute, finally getting them to leave when I wouldn't agree to let them in the house.

Well, a few months ago, the doorbell rings. Since we don't answer the door I kept working on my computer. The doorbell rings again. I peek my head into the living room (thinking, 'what the hell is this person thinking'), forgetting that the blinds were up. Ick. They saw me and waved. I had to open the door and I knew it was them as soon as I saw them through the window. This time, I wasn't nice. I was brutal.

They asked why I wasn't attending church anymore. I said 'because I don't believe in God'. They were a little taken aback. They tried to talk me out of this (huh?) and finally one of them asked who I lived with. I said, my boyfriend. Again, obvious repulsion on one of their faces. For some reason he asked if BF was on the title of the house with me. WTF? I say yes. Then I ask them to never contact me again, that I want to really quit the church this time. They tell me that I have to send a letter to the bishop, who will then want to come by my house and try to talk me into staying in the church. WTF x2? I tell them to leave and never come back. Weirdos. Now I know not to peek into the living room when the doorbell rings.

I'd rather have 10 kids come to my door than those freaks.

E

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29697 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 2:39 PM
The only time they came to my place (ex-place, I was totally irked but the poor kids were wearing wool suits in the height of summer, so I said, "if you speak I'll slam the door, but if you don't say anything I'll get you some water". They started talking so I slammed the door.

Author: LCKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29698 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 2:40 PM
I live in the middle of Portland, fairly close-in to the city, in a pretty nice neighborhood. That seems to attract tons of these jerks.

I used to live in the Hawthorne district of SE Portland. I got Mormons at my door like nobody's business. One day, I don't know why, I told them I was a Quaker. They went away quietly and never came back.

LCK

Author: ErinKG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29699 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 2:43 PM
The only time they came to my place (ex-place, I was totally irked but the poor kids were wearing wool suits in the height of summer, so I said, "if you speak I'll slam the door, but if you don't say anything I'll get you some water". They started talking so I slammed the door.

That is HILLLLLARIOUS! I'm using that next time (oh, and you know there will be a next time).

E

Author: ErinKG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29700 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 2:46 PM
I used to live in the Hawthorne district of SE Portland. I got Mormons at my door like nobody's business. One day, I don't know why, I told them I was a Quaker. They went away quietly and never came back.

Yeah, I think all of those religious groups tend towards the most populated areas, of which Hawthorne is certainly one. We never see any door-to-door religious-o's in our neighborhood, probably because all of the houses are single family. I live over in Rose City, near Hollywood.

E

Author: Joelsenior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29701 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 4:31 PM

==================================================================

A guy came to my door selling "magazines" and I asked him about
laundering some money thru the crack business.

It turns out he was faking the whole recoving crack thing
just for cheap sympathy.

Bastard!

Joelesenior

Author: LCKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29702 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 4:32 PM
Bastard!

Dammit! I think I bought a magazine subscription from that guy!

Author: Tookelso Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29703 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 4:49 PM

just for cheap sympathy.

Now Joel, you're not stealing movie scenes (Office Space) and calling them your own, are you?

--Took

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29704 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 5:03 PM

I've lived in gated complexes for a few years now, and I've come to the conclusion that the gates actually make us less safe. Those things don't keep one damn person out, but they make you think they will.

Author: ImpalaGuy Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29706 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 6:40 PM
Those things don't keep one damn person out, but they make you think they will.

One thing people tend not to understand about gates and fences. They really are not designed to keep people from getting inside. They are, however, very effective at keeping the theif from getting your TV out. Ever tried scaling a chainlink fence with a TV in your hands?

Author: kaellner Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29707 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 7:10 PM
One thing people tend not to understand about gates and fences. They really are not designed to keep people from getting inside. They are, however, very effective at keeping the theif from getting your TV out. Ever tried scaling a chainlink fence with a TV in your hands?

They just let the smug and arrogant feel superior.

jk

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29708 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 7:12 PM
add to it the kids out in front of the market extorting

And the ones who come to the door for the <band, orchestra, crew, baseball, theater, whatever> for the Begathon they call TAGS Day.

"We're collecting for our organization for <music, uniforms, whatever>."

SO?

~~ Alison

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29710 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/26/2005 8:19 PM

You can just as easily drive in. The gates at my complex, which is fairly high end, are constant stuck open. And it is trivially easy to piggyback your way in when someone enters or exits.

Author: Joelsenior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29711 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/27/2005 11:00 AM
Now Joel, you're not stealing movie scenes (Office Space) and calling them your own, are you?

--Took
=====================================================================

Are you talking to me? If you are allow me to respond.

I don't know what you're talking about and if you don't
stop I'm burn the building down

eff off
Joelsenior

Author: Joelsenior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29712 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/27/2005 11:03 AM
They just let the smug and arrogant feel superior.

jk
=================================================================

I concur!

Joelsenior, behind the gate

ps I suggested once at a HOA meeting that we have guards with
German Shepards patrol the perimeter, but they voted me down.
Go figure

Author: Season5 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29713 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/27/2005 1:28 PM

==================================================================

just for cheap sympathy.

Bastard!

Joelesenior

Have you seen the movie Office Space?
BP

Author: Season5 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29714 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/27/2005 1:30 PM
Nevermind.
Where's my stapler?
BP

Author: Joelsenior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29719 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 4/27/2005 5:28 PM
Have you seen the movie Office Space?
BP
=========================================================

No, is it any good?
Joelsenior

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29761 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 5/2/2005 12:42 AM
DH says that next time someone asks that question, we need to say, "Heck no, they killed the last kid we sent there." I can't wait. ;)

Please ask your husband if I could steal that line for occasional use?
Kathleen
(glad I wasn't drinking anything)

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29762 of 35757
Subject: Re: Primary Childrens Nazi Date: 5/2/2005 12:50 AM
They asked why I wasn't attending church anymore. I said 'because I don't believe in God'. They were a little taken aback. They tried to talk me out of this (huh?) and finally one of them asked who I lived with. I said, my boyfriend. Again, obvious repulsion on one of their faces. For some reason he asked if BF was on the title of the house with me. WTF? I say yes. Then I ask them to never contact me again, that I want to really quit the church this time. They tell me that I have to send a letter to the bishop, who will then want to come by my house and try to talk me into staying in the church. WTF x2? I tell them to leave and never come back. Weirdos. Now I know not to peek into the living room when the doorbell rings.

Wow!! And I thought they were PITAs when they were simply trying to make converts!!!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement