Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

State : CA

If my understanding is right, generally you add any prior year state taxes you paid as a "balance due" to current year itemized deductions.

Please let me know if I my understanding is incorrect.

Now if that's true, here is my situation

I made payments in 2011 towards my 2009 state taxes. Should I include in itemized deductions in 2010 return or 2011 or either or neither?

Catching up big time, so appreciate all the help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.