Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
About 1/3 of the taxes we've paid in 1998 went with our 1040 in April. Now, the Quicken tax report shows this huge amount paid in taxes, which is really not quite right.

I suspect it's a problem with how the payments are categorized - right now, they're just Tax:Fed, etc. Clearly if I recategorize them, they wouldn't show up on the tax reports. But how will any add-on tax package find them then?

Even then, recategorizing the payments still lets Quicken include them in graphs such as YTD Expense Comparison. Is there any way I can indicate that a payment is for the prior year?

I'm considering adding a new account, to which I can transfer the funds on 12/31 of the appropriate tax year. Then I should be able to run reports against the remaining accounts and see the funds creditted as of the year they were paid for. Does this make sense, or is it a hairy hack?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.