Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Okay, not your everyday ethics question, but one that I think might be deserving of discussion.

While reading up on our prison systems for my class, I discovered that there are three publicly traded private prisons in the United States. Corrections Corporation of America, The GEO Group,Inc., and Cornell Correctional Companies. Here is where I think the ethical issue of publicly traded prisons comes in:

If the mission of a publicly is to make money for it's shareholders. And that company gets paid on a per inmate basis, would it not be in the interest of the company to not let inmates out of prison early? And could that not lead to corruption in the reporting of an inmates actions in order to keep them from being eligible early release or parole?

Can a publicly traded company that runs private prisons be trusted to treat inmates in a purely objective way when there is a possibility that they lose money if the inmates are realeased early?

LWW
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement