Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 439293  
Subject: pro-life caused Gosnell Date: 5/14/2013 5:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
That is the position of NARAL. I think they may be overstating it somewhat, but I agree with their basic point. Women will seek abortions. We can make them legal or force women to monsters like Gosnell.

http://action.prochoiceamerica.org/images/content/pagebuilde...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422935 of 439293
Subject: Re: pro-life caused Gosnell Date: 5/14/2013 6:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm glad they just gave him life. Now we don't have to pay for the endless appeals. Lock him up and forget him.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 422958 of 439293
Subject: Re: pro-life caused Gosnell Date: 5/14/2013 8:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
That is the position of NARAL. I think they may be overstating it somewhat, but I agree with their basic point. Women will seek abortions. We can make them legal or force women to monsters like Gosnell.

I'll agree with that basic point, however, I'd like to see some serious process change regarding how these clinics are regulated - meaning that several people pointed out exactly how hard it was to report this horror show, and when it was, it was ignored because it didn't go through "proper channels." I do not want to see the unforgivable lack of basic process overlooked. This is not to say that I want to see women's health clinics singled out for this type of treatment... any medical facility in that condition should be shut down instantaneously, before it does the kind of damage his did.

Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 423033 of 439293
Subject: Re: pro-life caused Gosnell Date: 5/15/2013 3:59 PM
Recommendations: 11
1pg: I think they [NARAL] may be overstating it somewhat, but I agree with their basic point. Women will seek abortions. We can make them legal or force women to monsters like Gosnell.

Overstating? I suspect that they understated the case. Their only claim is that when abortions are illegal, women will still seek abortion care from monsters like Gosnell.

I think they can and should go further. I think a strong case can be made that the number of monstrous Gosnell-like abortionists will multiply when abortion becomes fully illegal.

It is the same whenever a popular service or commodity is made entirely illegal. The only suppliers who will remain are the ones who do not mind being criminals. Their practice is no longer subject to licensing and public quality control. Their costs rise due to greater risk of prosecution. In the ensuing competition, the most unscrupulous have a strong advantage, and this will drive out the more honest and careful practitioners.

We have already seen this dynamic in prohibitions on alcohol, opiates, and prostitution. I can see no reason why abortion should be any different.

There are both costs and benefits to society from any abortion policy. I think that any fair accounting of these costs and benefits will demonstrate that total criminalization is the worst possible policy.

Loren

Author: bgoxford Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 423082 of 439293
Subject: Re: pro-life caused Gosnell Date: 5/16/2013 2:31 PM
Recommendations: 2
It is the same whenever a popular service or commodity is made entirely illegal. The only suppliers who will remain are the ones who do not mind being criminals.

When I was in high school before R. v. W., every girl in class knew that you got the safe abortions from the Mafia.

Or you took a spring break trip to Scandanavia, if you had the money.

Girls without money were quite simply SOL.

bg

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 423093 of 439293
Subject: Re: pro-life caused Gosnell Date: 5/16/2013 5:39 PM
Recommendations: 0
efore R. v. W., every girl in class knew that you got the safe abortions from the Mafia.

Mafia? interesting ... never heard that

heard about Sweden, Japan and Mexico
and the poor were SOL

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 423094 of 439293
Subject: Re: pro-life caused Gosnell Date: 5/16/2013 5:48 PM
Their only claim is that when abortions are illegal, women will still seek abortion care from monsters like Gosnell.

The implication was the Gosnell was a result of it. Specifically him. And I don't think that's the case. It may or may not have contributed, but abortion (despite all the impediments in many places) is still legal.

However, I totally agree that if the pro-life movement gets what they want then illegal clinics will pop up all over the place. Might even get people making house-calls (have coat hanger, will travel). Unsafe, unsanitary, and a lot of horror and misery because pro-lifers just see women as walking incubators.

I also would not be surprised if you are correct that the costs of criminalization would be horrendous. As you say "worst possible policy".

1poorguy (abortion on-demand, no exceptions, covered by insurance and/or Medicaid)

Author: CountNoCount Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 423115 of 439293
Subject: Re: pro-life caused Gosnell Date: 5/16/2013 8:31 PM
efore R. v. W., every girl in class knew that you got the safe abortions from the Mafia.

Mafia? interesting ... never heard that

heard about Sweden, Japan and Mexico
and the poor were SOL

Don't forget the Ciderhouse Rules route.

NC

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 423116 of 439293
Subject: Re: pro-life caused Gosnell Date: 5/16/2013 8:53 PM
ii
Don't forget the Ciderhouse Rules route.

Can't forget somethin' you never knowed
(>:

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement