Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Marxtacy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8993  
Subject: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/12/2004 2:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've played with a Titleist Pro V1 a few times (when I've found lost ones in the woods), but I haven't had a chance to hit Callaway's HX Tour. The Callaway's are getting good press, and they are 5-10 dollars less expensive than the Pro V1. Might just be cheap enough to start using. Anybody have any thoughts/experiences? How does the thin cover hold up? I'm currently using up the last remaining Callaway CB-1 balls that I found on clearance for 14.99 a dozen.

On a side note, I amazed myself earlier this year by playing the first 41 holes of the year without losing a ball.

marxtacy

Print the post Back To Top
Author: GolfinGoldy One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4106 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/14/2004 4:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Beginner's luck !

----GG

Author: bigbuks Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4111 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/16/2004 1:05 PM
I have had numerous conversations with Pro Shop personnel as well as PGA Pros. And they all say that Pro V1 balls are NOT for the average golfer. In order to achieve the maximum compression of the ball for the furthest distance you need a swing approaching 100 MPH. Most golfers average around 80 - 85 MPH. So I would only use the Pro V1 balls for practice. A great ball is the Maxfli Noodle. It is a softer ball but goes a long way for the average golfer.

Good luck

Bigbuks

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4112 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/16/2004 1:13 PM
I have to disagree with the Maxfli Noodle. I was not happy using it at all. To be fair, you did say it was for the average golfer and I am below average. So maybe that has something to do with it. I found that the noodle didn't give me any added distance, but it tended to exagerate my mistakes when I would slice or hook a shot. Made them much more severe. I won't recommend any balls, but I do disrecommend the Noodle. JMO.

Author: Marxtacy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4114 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/16/2004 2:01 PM
I have had numerous conversations with Pro Shop personnel as well as PGA Pros. And they all say that Pro V1 balls are NOT for the average golfer. In order to achieve the maximum compression of the ball for the furthest distance you need a swing approaching 100 MPH. Most golfers average around 80 - 85 MPH.

I agree completely, but I'm still interested in opinions about the HX Tour versus the Pro V1. (Part of my interest is as a golfer, but another part is as a Callaway shareholder.)

I had my clubhead speed measured with every club around November. My clubhead speed with the wedges was in the high 80s and topped out at just over 100 with the 3 wood and driver. I suspect that my clubhead speed has increased a bit over the winter because I'm making a much better weight transfer. I've increased my average distance with all of the clubs by 10 yards without any new equipment. Interestingly, I really don't feel like I'm swinging fast(er). My backswing is smooth and deliberate, but I've substantially improved the timing of my hip turn, delaying my shoulder turn until just before my wrists are ready to release. Going to the range twice a week all winter and taking a few lessons really helped out.

When I was measuring my clubhead speed I tried out a few new drivers just for fun. Callaway's new ERC driver is very nice and extremely lightweight. It instantly pushed my clubhead speed to about 110. A tempting purchase, but that 500 dollar price tag is way too much for a few extra yards.

The outside area opens at my favorite driving range today! I was getting fed up with hitting balls off of the mats at the indoor range all winter.

marxtacy

Author: bdluckyshot Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4116 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/16/2004 2:31 PM
The outside area opens at my favorite driving range today! I was getting fed up with hitting balls off of the mats at the indoor range all winter.

I'd be fed up, too. It's been golf season for me for 256 months.

bd, Tampa resident....

Author: FishTagger Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4117 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/16/2004 3:17 PM
So I would only use the Pro V1 balls for practice.

Use Pro V1's for practice? Damn dude, you've got a lot more money than I do.

Author: FishTagger Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4118 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/16/2004 3:33 PM
(Part of my interest is as a golfer, but another part is as a Callaway shareholder.)

I can't answer your question about the HX Tour vs. the Pro V1 because I've never played either. But shareholder-wise everything I've read about the HX Tour has been very positve. The story linked below suggests that the HX Tour might be able to capture some market share.

http://www.pga.com/news/industry/businessinsider/business_insider041304.cfm

Author: Marxtacy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4120 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/16/2004 5:33 PM
I'd be fed up, too. It's been golf season for me for 256 months.

Yeah, yeah...I don't want to hear it. My dad lives down your way and he has played several times a week for a few years now.

During the winter I play if it is over 40 degrees, but around here that only happens a few times from December until the middle of March (and half of those times it is raining). But, I've headed south a few times to play.

marxtacy

Author: UTgopher Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4121 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/17/2004 7:20 PM
I agree completely, but I'm still interested in opinions about the HX Tour versus the Pro V1. (Part of my interest is as a golfer, but another part is as a Callaway shareholder.)

I've played both. I don't have a swing speed that takes full advantage of the PV1 or the HX Tour. However, I did notice the cover on the HX Tour barely makes it through one round. Whereas I was able to get 2-3 rounds out of the PV1.

For my swing speed, I use the Precept U-Tri extra spin and have been very happy with it. It's cover lasts as long as the PV1 and I actually get a few more yards in distance with it rather than either the PV1 or HX Tour (controlled test based on 15 swings each with a driver and 8 iron). I also liked the "feel" of the Precept. It felt softer and I had the sensation it stayed on the club face longer (I know it doesn't but it gives me that feeling). My guess is this had to do with a better matching of the Precept's compression to my slower swing speed.

FWIW - I'm and 11 handicapper (currently playing to a 15)<grin>

UTgopher

Author: Marxtacy Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4124 of 8993
Subject: Re: Pro V1 versus HX Tour Date: 4/18/2004 10:34 AM
However, I did notice the cover on the HX Tour barely makes it through one round.

That's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks!

marxtacy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement