UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Kasuma724 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 166  
Subject: Problem with CPAP Mask Date: 6/10/2005 9:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi... I've been happily using my CPAP machine for about 7 months now... and enjoying feeling rested in the morning. I wear a full face (nose & mouth because I'm a mouth breather at night) mask - can't remember the brand at the moment....

The happiness has come to a crashing halt, however. The last week has been fairly warm - and my skin is apparently now reacting to the rubber seal on the mask. (I have pretty sensitive skin, but didn't have a problem until this week - I suspect that perspiration is the catalyst.) I now sport a red, chapped outline of the mask on my face - it looks hideous!

Any ideas? Are there different kinds of materials used in the masks? Any thoughts on what would prevent the chapping?

HELP!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: parky555 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152 of 166
Subject: Re: Problem with CPAP Mask Date: 6/10/2005 10:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi Kas,

(can't remember the brand at the moment....)

Some common brands are Resmed, Respironics and Hans Rudolph.

(and my skin is apparently now reacting to the rubber seal on the mask. (I have pretty sensitive skin, but didn't have a problem until this week - I suspect that perspiration is the catalyst.) I now sport a red, chapped outline of the mask on my face)

Well, there are several things you can try. First you may want to try a different Full Face Mask(FFM). If you are using the Resmed or the Respironic FFM, you may consider the Hans Rudolph FFM.

Another suggestion is to let you face heal first. Try going to a Resmed Swift nasal pillow system with a chin restraint while you face heals itself. The Resmed Swift is extremely comfortable and the chin restrait will help keep the mouth closed.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Parky
CpapDiscountStore.com

Author: DCUnited Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 153 of 166
Subject: Re: Problem with CPAP Mask Date: 6/10/2005 1:51 PM
Recommendations: 1
Another suggestion is that you wash your face with soap, as well as the rubber gasket of the mask, every night before sleeping. By reducing facial skin oils, this will help ensure a tighter mask fit throughout the night, and may alleviate any chafing that could be contributing to your problem.

Author: msbetta Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 154 of 166
Subject: Re: Problem with CPAP Mask Date: 6/11/2005 6:31 PM
I find using aleo helps heal rub marks as long as they are open.

Author: msbetta Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 155 of 166
Subject: Re: Problem with CPAP Mask Date: 6/11/2005 6:33 PM
that's aloe, someday I'll be able to type!

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 156 of 166
Subject: Re: Problem with CPAP Mask Date: 6/13/2005 7:34 PM
1) make sure you are cleaning the rubber seal each day.

2) rub a little KY jelly around it just before putting it on.

RJ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement