UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hy7ujhy7 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65690  
Subject: Problem with OSX / Classic Date: 4/1/2001 7:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a dual-processor G4, with two hard drives. When I received OSX I backed up my files, reinitialized my hard drives, and installed OS9.1 and OSX from the CDs. Everything is fine except that the "Classic Environment" won't start up.

I can boot into OS9.1 by changing the startup disk. It just won't start under OSX. The window says "Starting up..." and the progress bar is barely started, so something is going wrong early in the process. It will sit in that state until I stop it.

I tried reinstalling again, but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFGrow Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3144 of 65690
Subject: Re: Problem with OSX / Classic Date: 4/1/2001 7:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
hy7ujhy7     upi said
I have a dual-processor G4, with two hard drives. When I received OSX I backed up my files, reinitialized my hard drives, and installed OS9.1 and OSX from the CDs. Everything is fine except that the "Classic Environment" won't start up.

I had a similar problem on my PowerBook. Classic would seem to start launching ... but would just sit for ever (I went away a nd let it run for over an hour without it completing).

I read some of the discussion over on the Apple Support discussion board:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/
and took up a suggestion there that it might
have been the Preferences on the MacOS9 side causing the problem.

So to test that theory out I renamed the MacOS 9 Preferences folder to Preferences-disabled and created an empty folder called Preferences. Then I started Classic explicitly from its MacOS X control panel. Everything was fine. I ran SimpleText.

I looked in the new Preferences folder afterwards and there was a minimal set of preferences - about 20 which seem to have been created by the start up.

With Classic running I tried XCell and Word and they both ran fine ... they seemed if anything to start faster than they do under 9.

Then as a test I shut classic down and tried double clicking an old application ... it launched into that usual Classic start-up routine which took two to three minutes. After that they behaved as normal.

That was Friday night I have been using classic based programs on and off since then without a problem.

Grow

Author: Steinmr Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3145 of 65690
Subject: Re: Problem with OSX / Classic Date: 4/1/2001 8:05 PM
Recommendations: 1
...and installed OS9.1 and OSX from the CDs. Everything is fine except that the "Classic Environment" won't start up.

I did my install and things went badly. I must have been asleep at some point where you click OK because I ended up with two 9.1 system folders and you know how well that works...who'd have thought it would work at all with 3 system folders on the same partition? I'm amazed.

Anyway, I pulled them out and compared all the files to make sure I was keeping all the files I started with and dumping the duplicate folder. Renamed it, restarted and discarded the guilty second sys folder. Everything works fine now.

Author: hy7ujhy7 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3146 of 65690
Subject: Re: Problem with OSX / Classic Date: 4/1/2001 8:05 PM
That seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

Author: hy7ujhy7 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3152 of 65690
Subject: Re: Problem with OSX / Classic Date: 4/1/2001 8:48 PM
Oops, I spoke too soon. Grow, after you created an empty preferences folder and then rebooted, did you ever try changing the startup disk and booting OS9.1? I tried that, and it hung while starting. I booted from the OS9.1 CD, changed the startup disk and got back into OSX, but then Classic wouldn't start up at all. Something about no partitions having a suitable OS9.1 environment.

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3160 of 65690
Subject: Re: Problem with OSX / Classic Date: 4/2/2001 8:57 AM
Oops, I spoke too soon. Grow, after you created an empty preferences folder and then rebooted, did you ever try changing the startup disk and booting OS9.1? I tried that, and it hung while starting. I booted from the OS9.1 CD, changed the startup disk and got back into OSX, but then Classic wouldn't start up at all. Something about no partitions having a suitable OS9.1 environment.

Make sure you're using the StartupDisk control panel that comes on the MacOS X disk. The one that came with MacOS X 9.1 gets confused and will cause your system to not boot properly.

joe

Author: bingoboy Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3163 of 65690
Subject: Re: Problem with OSX / Classic Date: 4/2/2001 12:00 PM
Make sure you're using the StartupDisk control panel that comes on the MacOS X disk. The one that came with MacOS X 9.1 gets confused and will cause your system to not boot properly.

Actually, there is an even newer update to the Startup Disk control panel, dated 3/23/01, version 9.2.1

About Startup Disk 9.2.1
Startup 9.2.1 repairs problems that may occur when Mac OS 9.1 and Mac OS X are on the same partition and a version earlier than Startup 9.2 has been used.The Utilities folder on the Mac OS X CD contains Startup Disk version 9.2, the control panel you use to select the startup disk for your computer.
http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n12078

bingo

Author: TMFGrow Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3181 of 65690
Subject: Re: Problem with OSX / Classic Date: 4/3/2001 7:04 AM
hy7ujhy7 you asked:
did you ever try changing the startup disk and booting OS9.1? I tried that, and it hung while starting. I booted from the OS9.1 CD, changed the startup disk and got back into OSX, but then Classic wouldn't start up at all. Something about no partitions having a suitable OS9.1 environment.

Everything was fine I was running stuff from X and from classic from Late Friday night until Monday night ... then for some reason I rebooted in OS 9.1 ... and that went fine too. The problem occured when the OS 9.1 Software Update control panel volunteered to check for the latest software and I clicked "OK go on check" ... and it offered me "StartUp Disc control panel" version 9.2.1 (and an update to Carbonlib) which has been mentioned elsewhere ... well it seemed like a good idea at the time ... so I clicked "OK go on get it" and that seemed to go OK ... but now classic hangs for ages when I try to start it up and ends up crashing with a message on the Console (I think that it is helpful to run the Console application from utilities) saying that "the blue box has crashed".

So now OS 9.1 boots and runs OK, X boots and runs OK ... but no classic ... I am tempted to go back to the preferences trick which worked the last time ... but the symptoms are slightly different as now classic crashes out after about 10 minutes rather than just running and running ... anyone got any ideas?

:-(

Grow

Author: TMFGrow Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3198 of 65690
Subject: Re: Problem with OSX / Classic Date: 4/4/2001 6:25 AM
I said:
So now OS 9.1 boots and runs OK, X boots and runs OK ... but no classic ... I am tempted to go back to the preferences trick which worked the last time ... but the symptoms are slightly different as now classic crashes out after about 10 minutes rather than just running and running ... anyone got any ideas?

I fixed this by reverting to an old StartUp Disc control panel from a backup and then next time I started Classic X asked if it could update it ... click OK and now we are back in business.

Conclusion seems to be ...
If you have already installed X with an established 9.1 and started classic don't install the new Control Panel "StartUpDisc 9.2.1".
I learned this the hard way.

Grow

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement