UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Silhouette1920 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3734  
Subject: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/12/2003 5:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What do you guys think about this?

Reality Shows Try Product Placement
By STUART ELLIOTT

ABC is clambering aboard the bandwagon of networks that allow advertisers to place products in reality series by signing two major marketers, Schick and Cingular Wireless, to embed brands in all 13 episodes of a new show, "All American Girl," which has its premiere tonight.

In the show, which is billed as "a national search for the ultimate all-American girl," Schick will sponsor segments devoted to examples of "women's intuition." The company just so happens to have a new women's shaver named Intuition....

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/12/business/media/12ADCO.html?8hpib
Print the post Back To Top
Author: WasPokey Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 582 of 3734
Subject: Re: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/13/2003 10:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
It's certainly nothing new.

Survivor has more cheesy product placements than any other show I've seen.

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 586 of 3734
Subject: Re: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/15/2003 4:05 PM
I noticed on one episode of Anna Nicole (my wife makes me watch it) that the brand name was blurred out on one product she was eating (looked like KFC, maybe), but was not blurred out on the bottle of Nestle Quik she was drinking. I thought that was very strange.

Thanks!
Joe

Author: neverabridesmaid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 587 of 3734
Subject: Re: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/15/2003 9:04 PM
I noticed on one episode of Anna Nicole (my wife makes me watch it) that the brand name was blurred out on one product she was eating

I don't get that either. I used to notice it all the time on Real World (my kids made me watch it). There'd be a group of kids sitting around, all wearing t-shirts. One or more of them would have the logo blurred out but others in the group would be untouched.

I've always wondered why that is.

-nab

Author: AcmeFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 588 of 3734
Subject: Re: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/15/2003 10:18 PM
I've always wondered why that is.

MTv has a policy of not giving any product "placements" unless they are paid for them. So they blur lots of stuff out of their shows...

ACME

Author: TMFEdible Big red star, 1000 posts Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 589 of 3734
Subject: Re: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/18/2003 11:43 PM
There was an amazing read earlier this month in Forbes on John de Mol -- the Dutch tycoon who some credit with bringing back the reality tv show genre with Big Brother.

The article made an interesting point about an American Idol type show in Spain that had the country mesmerized (to the point where several legit artists petitioned because all of the contestants were dominating the airwaves). The article pointed out something that hadn't occured to me about Idol in reference to the Spain show -- it's not just the product placement. Idol also skims money off every single AT&T text message vote that comes in. (and, well, the movie and record deals that follow too).

So, yes, Survivor is the cheesiest of the lot. Between the Snickers, Sierra Mist, AOL, Visa and now Coke in a fridge it takes the cake in terms of product placements. It's either becoming more common in movies too -- or I have just grown so jaded that I'm spotting the product placements better now.

Oh, the Forbes article is online. Though you have to register (FREE) to read it. Worth it though:

http://www.forbes.com/personalfinance/retirement/forbes/2003/0317/088.html

Rick

Author: dcostello Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 590 of 3734
Subject: Re: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/19/2003 8:59 AM
Recommendations: 8
So, yes, Survivor is the cheesiest of the lot.

American Idol is getting close. There is the ever present Coke glasses on the table. Then last night they had the trip to Old Navy where the "kids" get to shop for free. Evidently the 3 for $20 tshirt were a good trade for airtime.

I'm was going to start product placement in my MF posts but they'd be so subtle you would hardly notice. I'll just sit here and type on my Dell™ computer. It's a Dell™.

Anyway, so as I was saying American Idol is getting to be as bad as Survivor for product placement. As a matter of fact, last night I was drinking a Budweiser™ and having a hamburger; the burger was beef, It's What's for Dinner©. I was talking to my wife, who was wearing her Gap™ tshirt, about product placement. She told me she didn't want to talk because she had a headache so I told her to take an Advil®. "An Advil®?" she replied. And I said "Take Advil® and Take Contol."

Since she wasn't up for a conversation, I sat down for two hours of quality TV on Fox™. American Idol© was on for two hours. Good, clean fun. I had to remind myself that I should tune in tonight to see who is going home...and who is still in! Wednesday, March 19th 8pm/7c, on Fox™.

Author: WasPokey Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 591 of 3734
Subject: Re: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/19/2003 10:04 AM
American Idol is getting close. There is the ever present Coke glasses on the table. Then last night they had the trip to Old Navy where the "kids" get to shop for free. Evidently the 3 for $20 tshirt were a good trade for airtime.

Last season the top contestants all got a Ford Focus(?). Every episode they were hanging out in a Ford Focus, or hanging out around a Ford Focus, etc. It became very tiresome.

Author: LuluB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 592 of 3734
Subject: Re: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/19/2003 11:06 AM
Recommendations: 1
Yeah. A Ford Focus? Get them a DECENT car.... LOL!

Author: bigmarcuk Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 597 of 3734
Subject: Re: Product placement in reality shows Date: 3/19/2003 8:15 PM
Another MTV one - Sorority Life - also uses Product Placement Liberally - Pepsico seem to have stocked their kitchen with all their brands and the girls are driving around 2 brand new SUVs! -

College life clearly sucks for them!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement