UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37065  
Subject: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/18/2013 10:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
I'm really taking advantage of the small steps/15-minute task idea.

I'm keeping a list of completed backlogs in 2013. Every day I try to take one little task to work to do on my lunch hour.

So far I've managed to complete three VERY backlogged tasks that have sat around eating up my attention for months and years.

Yesterday I sewed a button on a shirt during my lunch hour.

One day I grabbed a bunch of mail and threw it in my tote bag, opened it and organized it on my lunch hour and brought the filing home.

This is working quite well, and the apartment is starting to look almost neat in comparison to what it did before.

MOI
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36098 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/18/2013 2:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I'm really taking advantage of the small steps/15-minute task idea.

I need to do that too.

Anytime I have a task I've been putting off way too long, I'll set a timer for 15 minutes and tell myself I can do anything for 15 minutes - and usually, I find I'm done before the timer goes off. If not, I let myself have 15 minutes of goof off time, and then do another 15 minutes.

One of the little mantras I hear a lot in Mary Kay is "You can eat an elephant one bite at a time."

Baby steps will get you there.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Author: WeekEndMartian Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36099 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/18/2013 10:03 PM
Recommendations: 3
Found my way here from Best of, so apologize for an interloper post, but I have to say that your post reminded me of this:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%...
Datexx Miracle Cube Timers

I love these things. I mean, I love them. I have the white, yellow, and blue ones. I've used timers forever to govern my life - to do that 15 minutes cause I know I can work on something for 15 minutes - but these things are just wonderful.

You flip it over to the time, it beeps once, and and blink blink blink it goes for the time set (last minute is a quicker blink). At the end it will beep for 30 seconds and then stop.

When I'm not getting anything done, I do a:

1 - 3 - 5 - 7 -10 - 15 - 30 -45 - 60 sequence for as long as I can stand it. I will also line up the blue, yellow, and white ones in a row and turn 'em over. It works, it keeps me entertained (I'm old and boring), and unlike other timers these are VERY hard to lose or misplace.

Timers are great, but these are the best. Three cautions:

*no batteries included. Take 2 AAA each.

*there is a countdown on the 'bottom' but it is hard to read. Course, if you need a countdown, then get multiple ones like I did (I resisted the blue one but finally decided I needed a 1-3-etc one more than any other)

*as noted they beep, so that could be annoying in an office environment if you are in an open space.

You wouldn't think not having to punch buttons would make that much difference but for me it does - just flip these over and boom you go. No punching in 7 minutes, no punching in anything. No excuses.

And no, I don't work for Datexx.

Fwiw

Blue 0-1-3-5-7
Yellow 0-5-10-20-45
White 0 5-15-30-60

Pretty much covers the entire sequence but I think for my birthday I want the green and purple too. Nutty, but....

I LOVE these things.

just 2c.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36100 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/19/2013 9:46 AM
Recommendations: 4
That's awesome!

Isn't it amazing how small things like a button can weigh us down and dog us for years? For me it was the same - I had a shirt with a missing button that I felt guilty for not doing for years. Finally I bought a matching button and sewed it on. Done. That shirt was wearable again that had been sitting in my "to do" pile for 2 years.

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36101 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/19/2013 11:14 AM
Recommendations: 0
OMG! Toys!

I LOVE TOYS!

It works, it keeps me entertained (I'm old and boring)

I'm so there.

Thank you!

MOI

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36102 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/19/2013 11:16 AM
Recommendations: 1
...and then I saw how much it would cost.

Maybe I'll wait until my birthday in May and get someone else to get me some.

MOI
<easily entertained but cheap>

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36103 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/19/2013 11:18 AM
Found my way here from Best of

And WTF?

I knew TMF was getting boring, but when a post about sewing on buttons during my lunch hour makes Best Of....

Can anyone spell death knoll?

MOI

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36105 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/20/2013 9:53 AM
Recommendations: 1
naw, it's the first of the year, everyone is working on those resolutions

This Year I will Get Organized!!!!!!! :)

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36106 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/20/2013 1:21 PM
Recommendations: 0
naw, it's the first of the year, everyone is working on those resolutions

Well, at least I learned how to spell it!

It's death knell.

This Year I will Get Organized!!!!!!! :)

Yes, you will! We all will!

MOI
:)

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36107 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/21/2013 12:43 AM
I couldn't deal with getting organized yet, so I cleaned the refrigerator.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36108 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/21/2013 1:07 AM
I couldn't deal with getting organized yet, so I cleaned the refrigerator.

Around these parts, that qualifies as getting organized.

Congratulations!

Nancy

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36110 of 37065
Subject: Re: Progress in 2013 Date: 1/21/2013 8:03 PM
Recommendations: 4
And the progress continues....

Over the weekend, I completed a project of getting rid of old cassette tapes and breaking them down so I could recycle the plastic cases.

I spent half an hour in our storage unit decluttering, which led to decluttering the back of my car.

I took off the registration tags from my license plate and put on the new one, AND did the same with the MTA parking sticker for our neighborhood.

In the storage unit, I recovered a magazine rack from there that I used under my piano for the music that I was organizing. This inspired me to finish that organizational project. I emptied a container of music and sorted it into keep/give away. Some of it is going to my daughter because she's taken up the guitar. Some is going to friends' children who have taken up piano. Two items are on Freecycle. And I've written to the San Francisco Conservatory to see if their library would be interested in the books of art songs for high and low voices and the jazz improvisational manual. I'm on a roll.

I have sent two bags and two boxes to recycling and one bag to trash.

MOI

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement