Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 442477  
Subject: Progressives should Date: 11/19/2012 12:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 40
Progressives should forget about the right wing foibles now and concentrate on what the Democrats are going to do. We know that the Republicans are still run by the Limbaugh crowd for the benefit of patriarchs and oligopolists. Limbaugh's job is to keep the stupid, well, stupid. The republicans will continue to play this game because they don't have a Plan B.

Meantime I'm far more concerned about what the Democrats do. Will Schumer continue to be Wall St's main man in the Senate? Will Obama continue to push for a jobs act. Will the Democrats cave on SS and Medicare. Will Obama continue to be neocon lite? Will immigrants finally catch a break?

Forget the right wingers, and clean up our own house.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413260 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/19/2012 12:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
How do we MAKE SURE that we follow through on raising taxes? I get the eliminating loopholes, wonderful, but NOT at the expense (literally) of raising taxes.

Also, need to work on rebuilding/refining/streamlining many of the 'services' that the other side dislike...FEMA still needs more 'user friendly'ness, EPA needs more clarity and some spotlights shone(?) into corners, the IRS needs to start ENFORCING rules about churches and tax status.

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413261 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/19/2012 1:00 PM
Recommendations: 7
There's still all those appointments that have never been filled, held up.. EPA still has Bushies in high positions, preventing, shelving problems that will come back to bite us.. I'd bet every division has the same problem, old Bushies still in there preventing progress... Just flat fire 'em all force the new folks in... Gonzo, Brownie are gone, but left messes behind...

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413289 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/19/2012 5:53 PM
Recommendations: 3
Forget the right wingers, and clean up our own house.

I'm sure it's a surprise to John Boehner that Democrats own the house. ;-)

The good news is that most of the "Blue Dogs" lost their races in 2010. The bad news is that the GOP has a built-in advantage in the house through at least 2020.

But just as only Nixon could go to China, only the Dems can destroy Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and SNAP. Although the GOP will be happy to help, they know that if they are tagged with that destruction, it will end their party. I'm not sure all of our Democratic politicians realize this applies to them, too.

rj

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413324 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/20/2012 10:21 AM
Recommendations: 0
Progressives should

Buzz off and go to Europe, Greece is a wonderful place for progressives.

Author: albaby1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413329 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/20/2012 10:33 AM
Recommendations: 2
Meantime I'm far more concerned about what the Democrats do. Will Schumer continue to be Wall St's main man in the Senate? Will Obama continue to push for a jobs act. Will the Democrats cave on SS and Medicare. Will Obama continue to be neocon lite? Will immigrants finally catch a break?

The answers are yes, yes, maybe, yes, and yes.

Of course Schumer will be Wall Street's main man - banking and finance is New York state's largest, and probably most important, industry. He'll be looking out for them.

Obama will push for a jobs act, since that is easy and good politics. Whether he can get one passed is a wholly different question.

Whether the Dems "cave" on SS and Medicare depends on what you mean by caving. Seems likely that the House GOP will be able to leverage some changes to the programs, but how big of a change is up in the air.

Of course Obama will continue his neocon ways. The Right agrees with him, and the Left's criticism will be muted.

I believe that there will be some immgiration reform this Congress, whether modest or comprehensive. Certainly the de facto DREAM non-enforcement will continue.

Albaby

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413337 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/20/2012 11:16 AM
Golly, Al, you really cheered me up.

Author: albaby1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413339 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/20/2012 11:56 AM
Golly, Al, you really cheered me up.

Sorry. Look, things are hopeful for some movement on immigration reform, and I think that there's still enormous pressure on both parties to pass some legislation to promote jobs. The GOP still holds the House by a sizable majority, though, so I wouldn't look to them to adopt measures unless they include some of the things that advance their own agenda.

There's no reason to expect Schumer or Obama to change their positions. Schumer doesn't run again until 2016, and is not likely to face a serious challenge (obviously Obama doesn't have to run again for anything).

Albaby

Author: FoolBalance Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413397 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/21/2012 12:09 PM

There's still all those appointments that have never been filled, held up.. EPA still has Bushies in high positions, preventing, shelving problems that will come back to bite us.. I'd bet every division has the same problem, old Bushies still in there preventing progress... Just flat fire 'em all force the new folks in... Gonzo, Brownie are gone, but left messes behind...

The best way to make sure this happens is to fix the filibuster in the senate!

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413441 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/21/2012 6:06 PM
The best way to make sure this happens is to fix the filibuster in the senate!

That's the plan I believe, on the first day... BAM! Gone...

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413444 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/21/2012 6:18 PM

I'll believe it when I see it...

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413449 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/21/2012 8:31 PM
Recommendations: 2

============
I'll believe it when I see it...

and ...although the devil's in the details ... 'we' might not be so happy it's gone next time the bad guys have a majority in the Senate

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413450 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/21/2012 8:39 PM
and ...although the devil's in the details ... 'we' might not be so happy it's gone next time the bad guys have a majority in the Senate

Are they talking about making it go away completely? A 55% majority might make more sense.

Count Upp

Author: albaby1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413453 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/21/2012 9:13 PM

Does that really make much sense, after the 2012 elections? The GOP controls the House, which means that the filibuster is really only necessary for things that can be accomplished solely in the Senate (such as appointments). The GOP can block anything else without resort to the filibuster now. Given the margin of victory in a strong cycle for the Democrats, it looks like the GOP's edge in the 2010 redistricting has cemented them a House majority through 2020. Why get into the filibuster in that political climate?

Albaby

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413460 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/21/2012 11:58 PM

It's only fair. Though at the minimum someone should have to stand there and talk, not just make the threat. Or is even that technically unConstitutional?

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413464 of 442477
Subject: Re: Progressives should Date: 11/22/2012 2:40 AM
There was a new Senator, forget the name now, but it was discussed on one of the daytime shows.. It can only be done on the first day of business, some Rule, but that's the plan... Hopefully very true! Ends or modifies the Rule to take away the super majority, so they can be broken...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement