UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ToddW217 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127236  
Subject: Promoting a Home for Sale Date: 3/28/2006 9:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife and I live in St. Pete, FL and are in the process of trying to sell our home. I'm curious if the board can offer any advice on the best way to promote a home for sale....
(I'm adding this after having finished the post - please do not propose hiring a realtor. If that is your suggestion, how will a realtor promote it?)

To date, our promotions have consisted of listing the home on MLS through a flat rate realty service who effectively offers access to MLS and nothing else, newspaper ads, letting friends/family/colleagues know that the home is for sale, and holding two open houses.

- Through the MLS ad, we are offering a 2.5% buyer's agent commission. The ad has generated 3 showings in 3 weeks now.

- Our newspaper ads have run two weekends, and generated -0- calls as best we can tell.

- Friends/family/colleagues have generated little interest, but we had not anticipated much from this source.

- Open houses with signage directing people to the home has far and away been the best driver of activity. While we may have shown the home to 15 people or so, a number have just started to look at homes. They are not screened very well in that they typically don't know the price/beds & baths/etc. So while the activity has been great, a good portion simply aren't serious buyers yet.

I find myself surprised that the Open Houses - with virtually $-0- cost - have outperformed both MLS and the newspaper, which both have enough of a cost that you feel it.

We are under no significant time pressure to sell the home, but real estate seems to have clearly slowed - and sooner is always better than later.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement