Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: esxokm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4870  
Subject: Proofreading Date: 7/16/2012 4:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
And now, my final question of the day: does anyone have any advice as far as proofreading goes? Does anyone know of any trustworthy sites that will proofread for a low price? I hate saying low price because people should be paid an appropriate amount for work, but I can't afford much more than $500. Alas, would it be unfair to seek out a read for that amount of money if the word count is 58,000?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: bearwhizbeer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4841 of 4870
Subject: Re: Proofreading Date: 7/17/2012 3:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
My girlfriend is a freelance editor of some 30 years experience, so I have a bit of insight here.

As a rule of thumb, professionals consider a page to be 250 words. Thus your book comes to about 232 pages, give or take. Under ideal conditions, my girlfriend hits about seven pages an hour, which would be about 33 hours. The min she charges is 25 an hour, and thus a 230 page novel would cost the author around $800. At min.

$500 seems a bit low for a proofing, but lots of editors are freelance and can make what ever deals they want. It's a reasonable amount for a read.

Many first time writers are horrified by the amount of work their "final" draft requires.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement