Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Jennlee222 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121185  
Subject: Property tax deduction on sold home Date: 3/11/2014 9:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I married in 2013, so this is my first year of joint filing. I sold my primary residence halfway through 2013, and moved to my husband's home. (That home met all the qualifications for property tax deduction.)

Because of the sold home, I paid no property taxes directly at the end of the year, but in the home purchase settlement agreement, the tax amount was prorated for the approximate half year I owned the home and taken into account in the sale. So I basically paid the buyer that amount, and they (I assume) payed the property tax bill.

So do I take that amount listed for those taxes from the HUD-1 Settlement statement and add it to property tax deduction amount that we are claiming for my husband's home? I am allowed to claim the deduction amount for that, aren't I?

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: gsgreen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120431 of 121185
Subject: Re: Property tax deduction on sold home Date: 3/11/2014 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You don't add it to your husbands property tax amount, you claim it as a separate deduction for property tax. The important part is that it is deductible.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement