Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I spent most of yesterday evening doing my uncle's tax returns (gotta love 11th hour people). He's recently unemployed and I suspect, couldn't or didn't want to pay the CPA he's used in previous years. He'd given me a copy of his 2007 tax returns for reference. I was quite surprised to see the CPA had made a simple, but glaring (at least to me), mistake.

He'd completed a federal Schedule A but ended up using the standard deduction because it was more than the itemized deductions. Okay, no problem there. However, on the state return, on the line that references federal deductions, he marked itemized and put the lower (Sched A vs standard) amount. As a result, my uncle's state taxable income was shown as higher than it should have been and accordingly, he would owe more in state taxes.

I told my uncle I would look more into it over the weekend and file an amended state return if need be (which I suspect is the case). However, I'm just irked that he'd paid a pro who made a mistake like that.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.