Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tracker55 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121319  
Subject: ProSeries pay-per-return Date: 1/3/2002 1:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Has anyone used ProSeries as a pay-per-return option in their tax
practice and if so what were your likes and dislikes? I would
especially like to hear about how the privacy issue is handled for
client data since I assume that the return will have to either be
prepared online or saved to a database online.

Thanks,
Bob Spinks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56673 of 121319
Subject: Re: ProSeries pay-per-return Date: 1/3/2002 7:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
...I would especially like to hear about how the privacy issue is handled for client data since I assume that the return will have to either be prepared online or saved to a database online.

I can't speak for ProSeries, but none of the pay-per-return services I've ever used had any privacy issues. They operated on the desktop and had a counter embedded in the software to control usage. The counter can be increased by "buying" more returns, and decreased by creating new returns. Some of the data in the return is keyed to the counter so that you can't erase and recreate a new return without additional charge and yet can change and print paid-for returns as often as you wish without additional charge. The only reason I ever had for going online to download patches to the code. No client data was ever uploaded.

Of course, nowadays there may be online pay-per-return professional level software. If so, I would share your concerns about privacy.

Ira

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56730 of 121319
Subject: Re: ProSeries pay-per-return Date: 1/4/2002 1:08 AM
I can't comment on ProSeries, but I have used Lacerte's pay-per-return option. In their case, they collected the client's name and ID number for tracking the returns prepared and billing. That info was transmitted to Lacerte, nothing more. All of the client's data remained on your computer.

I'm quite sure that CCH takes the confidentiality of your client's data very seriously. Why don't you ask them for their privacy policy? They'll be glad to tell you how they keep your client's data secure.

--Peter

Author: KCoss Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56948 of 121319
Subject: Re: ProSeries pay-per-return Date: 1/8/2002 11:44 PM
I've used it for several years, and I like it. Software is well written and customer service reps are great! You put money in your account via internet w/ a credit card. I get unlimited for in & s's but
love the ppr for my few partnerships and c's, also you can get access to any state's return if you have any part year residents.
I also use their e-file and have not have any problems, and my clients love the fast refunds.
Isn't it kind of late to be deciding your software for this year? If you want to check out Pro for next year, I believe they still send you the full version of the previous years program for evaluation for a nominal fee.
You can get less expensive software, but I believe you get what you pay for. I think Pro has excellent diagnostics.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement