Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cl7kap Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 182  
Subject: Protecting your Downside with a Stop Loss Date: 10/8/2007 8:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The MF has recently published some quotes and motto's from Warren Buffet about his #1 rule of investing.....never lose money and his #2 rule of investing.....always follow rule #1.

I think this is a very simple but powerful concept when you consider that if you lose 50% on an investment you need to find another investment that provides a 100% return before you break even.

When investing new money does anyone have any books, articles, strategies, or thoughts to suggest on how to use Stop Loss' to prevent you from losing money?

I know many people say that Stop Loss's will simply result in getting stopped out of good stocks on bad days and that if you buy stocks with an appropriate margin of safety over the long term you shouldn't worry about a short term loss. While I understand you need to buy for the long term I also know that many companies that look like strong long term investments don't work out and you end up breaking Buffet's #1 rule.

That said, I'm hoping some of the more experienced investors in the MF community can give me some sage advice on the use of Stop Loss's to protect on the downside and how to buy back in if you get stopped out of a stock that you still want to own long term.

Also, I know you can always dollar cost average but I tend to invest in chunks not systematically with equal dollar amounts so any buying strategies with downside protection ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement