UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ma21lewi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308794  
Subject: Providian Mistake and Questions Date: 2/5/2003 5:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
An interesting thing happened last week. I recieved a credit card statement from providian. The funny thing is I was not aware that I had a providian account. This was the first of such statements that I recieved from them. I have been working for some time on paring down my debt to credit ratio and was alarmed to find that I had an unknow account. I know that I did not and would not sign up for a credit card with providian and alway dismiss cc telemarketer with in 5 seconds of the converation. So some how this account got opened without my approval.

I immediately called thier customer service number and got connected to thier security dept. They promised that they would close the account and that it would not show up on my credit report.

Three days later I get a call from a providian security stating that a mistake has been made on my account, that it had been reported stolen and closed and that they had reopened the account and was sending me a new card. After asking they mentioned that it would show up on my credit report as stolen. It was then that I explained that I did not want the card (this was a tough concept for them to grasp) and I did not want anything on my credit report. After my explaination ther security officer told me that it would not show up on my report, seemingly opposite of what she told me earlier.

I do not trust them and feel the need to investigate. What is the cheapest (and best) way to get a full credit report so I can check this out? What are some of the steps I should take from this point to ensure that this seemingly shady account doesn't hurt me in my credit history?

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Microsoft Admits Defeat and Wins?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement