UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: heckunit Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75664  
Subject: Pru VA High 5 closing this week Date: 2/9/2013 4:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
According to our FA, the Prudential Highest Daily Lifetime Income Annuity with the 5% guarantee is closing out this week.

He feels it is a good investment for the following reasons.

1. If they are suddenly closing it out, they are worried about losing money on it. If they are losing money, we might actually have a higher likelyhood of making money off of it.

2. As a proxy for Long term care - it will switch to a 10% payout if you cannot care for yourself for 120 days.

However, I noted that you have to annuitize the account and have 3 years taking payments before you can use this. So basically, it seems to me that you either have to know that you will need the care three years down the line, or just go for annuitizing after the 12 years to see if you live long enough to get value out of this. The account is guaranteed to double in 12 years for annuitization purposes.

3. It can be used as an estate planning device. Death Benefit locks in at the highest daily point your initial investment hits until you take the benefit or start taking payments.

This seems like a fairly good thing and reason not to annuitize.

If the market just continues to go up, we transfer over the money via a hopefully non-taxable death benefit

If the market goes down, we still transfer over the highest our initial investments hit.

Problem? Comes back to the drag fees might have on the investments.

4. Similar to bonds, real estate, etc. it would add a piece of stability should things go south in the world markets. Assuming Prudential survives.

We currently have an allocation of 37% stocks, 8% bonds, 1% cash, 29% real estate, 8% retirement savings (outside of pensions), and a chunk we are pondering that just came in of about 16% in liquid assets (read inheritance here).

So, the questions. How good of an investment is this in terms of a stability piece. At best, we would put 8% of assets in. Or we could buy another piece of real estate, or bonds, or traditional life insurance.

The annuity is so complex it has taken me a couple of days to just work through it, but I do take the FA point about Prudential closing it out. Just trying to put our retirement planning together

Thanks,

M
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement