UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Re: Strategy comparison S&P500 vs. IUL Date: 4/2/2013 2:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
PS. as a point of reference, how much in non-risked reserves would you advise a person keep when going naked in the securities?

I'm not the best person to ask this question of, since I don't really invest that way. I don't have a dog in that fight, so I wouldn't "advise" a person anything. My biggest advice would be to maintain an adequate level of liquidity. That's probably around $25K-$50K for most people.

But the phrase "going naked in the securities" troubles me. Going naked means something quite different than going long, but the implication here is that they are equivalent. They are not.
This has the smell of a semi-hidden agenda, that the speaker is trying to smuggle in the assertion that being long is an exaggerated risk. This is something I would more expect of a sales person (quelle surprise!) than a dispassionate seeker of knowledge.

That said ....

Risk is there, regardless of people's desire to be risk-free. At the "non-risked reserves" area there is interest rate risk, inflation risk, buying-power risk, etc. See, for example, "Cyprus, bank depositors of". Ask *them* about their non-risked reserves.

Anyway, the standard accepted ratio is 60% equities and 40% fixed-income. Right now, people who are 60/40 are going to be very sorry in the future when that 40 gets crushed down to 10. IHMO.

As for me personally, I struggle mightily to keep my fixed-income allocation up as high as 10%. I'd be happier at 5%, but that's just me -- most people feel that 10% is nuch too low. OTOH, most people couldn't walk into their boss's office at 58 and ask to be laid off.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement