Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58808  
Subject: P.S. Diana Date: 3/2/2013 5:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm addicted to your blog. Can you write a bit faster??

There's a guy who's just begun posting on the bicycling fools board and he has a blog that's in my favourites for the same reason as yours......easy on the eye and nice reading. I've had to ask him the same.

I have a few friends who've put blogs together as a marketing thing.....supposedly with "professional help". Must be help from someone who can't make it in the kidnapping prefession or something because, next to yours, they look like ransome notes.

Vivienne
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57654 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/2/2013 8:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Viv,

Thanks so much for the compliment! I usually try for 3 articles a week but wasn't able to do that last week. I'm trying to mostly write on weekends and schedule the content to go out throughout the week. I'm hoping to write a bunch this weekend so you should have stuff all next week.

I do write some stuff that is not fitness or health related in nature. I hope you enjoy that stuff too. Let me know!

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57656 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/2/2013 11:10 AM
I do write some stuff that is not fitness or health related in nature. I hope you enjoy that stuff too. Let me know!

One of the things I'm interested in is intrinsic vs extrinsic motivation. As in, you come into my dental office and either get clue toot sweet and put me out of business.....or you come into my dental office, ignore everything I say, tell me I'm talking out of my bottie and provide me with a generous income.

Trying to figure this out has provided me with a lot of intellectual stimulation along with a tremendous amount of frustration, lo, this past 35+ years. I have no ex[planation as to why my second career as a Trophy Wife should mirror exactly this but I guess we all create our own misery or drama, right??

One of the things I try to do is to challenge myself by learning something new that I don't think I'm *good* at. WRT my fitness gig.....jumping around and doing athletic stuff comes easy to me, so I look at areas where I feel like a beginner or *loser*. This last Fall, I found a perfick venue......hula hoop dancing (*AS ADVERTISED* on the Weightlifting Board) Let me not do that again.

Here's my new challenge.....let me learn how to put up a blog.

I shall put the blame on your shoulders.....just sayin'

Vivienne

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57658 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/2/2013 4:26 PM

It's super easy to get started.

Diana uses wordpress, and most of the "experts" say it's the best platform because it's easy to upgrade and personalize.

I use blogger, mostly because I started my first blog on blogger long, long ago and blogger takes NO programming experience.

I'll probably move to wordpress someday, though, when I want more customization than I can get with blogger.

Ishtar

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57659 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/2/2013 5:44 PM

It's super easy to get started.

I noticed the wordpress link on Diana's blog and I've been wandering around on that. Super easy is a relative term, mind.......I'm still fumbling with my Facebook page.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57660 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/2/2013 6:00 PM
Everyone has some trouble with Facebook. :P

I looked at wordpress and got a bit overwhelmed with it, which is the main reason I haven't moved.

Blogger is a lot of "Click here to change that" and some drag and drop.

Ishtar

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57661 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/2/2013 6:02 PM
I just went and looked at wordpress a little more and it looks like it's a bit more simple than it used to be, so it might not be bad.

Go to both and take a look.

Then just dive in.

Whatever you do can be changed at any time, so it's not like anything is set in stone.

Play with it.

Ishtar

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57670 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/4/2013 7:25 AM
Everyone has some trouble with Facebook. :P

I'll say!

I joined it just to share newsy photos with friends, family members etc. Had a few folk want to be my *friend*......I even recognised some of them! A month or so back, I tried to *friend* a Fool who made the suggestion and, in the process, inadvertently added the whole of the e-mail list from the address I use for Facebook......which included, but wasn't limited to the list-serve for all the fitness instructors at the gym chains I worked for down on LI. All of them.... 99.999% of whom I never ever knew or subbed classes for.

Here's the funky thing.....far too many of them for my liking accepted my request. WTF's up with that!?! I'm currently trying to declutter my F-B page from some Seriously Weird People and their opinions.

This can't happen with a blog, right?

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57671 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/4/2013 7:46 AM
And I just found out that there's this board..http://boards.fool.com/queen-ds-musings-119489.aspx

Colour me Slow On The Uptake!!

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57672 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/4/2013 10:30 AM
This doesn't usually happen with a blog, but something like that may happen.

You can set to either not allow comments or moderate comments and that cuts it down quite a bit.

If you have your email address published on the site, you may get odd emails, but you don't have to publish it.

But, in general, unless you're promoting the heck out of your blog, most people will never even find it. There are millions of blogs, and people who want more traffic sometimes have a hard time getting it without a lot of focused attention on just promoting.

Ishtar

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57674 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/4/2013 1:26 PM
There are millions of blogs, and people who want more traffic sometimes have a hard time getting it without a lot of focused attention on just promoting.

So, you're saying I don't have to worry too much about being an overnight success in the blogosphere in the way I do with having too many *friends* on Facebook, right?

Do you have a blog to share that I could eyeball? Diana (and you) have created a monster in that I had no idea how to do this blogging stuff and now it seems quite do-able.......but for finding stuff to blog about.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57675 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/4/2013 3:02 PM
I have a couple:

www.lifeuncalculated.com where I talk about my life (bipolar, spirituality, business, etc)

www.lasflacas.com where I'm one of four ladies working on weight loss. I write more often than the others. But I don't know if you'd like that one.

www.awesomemath.com for my tutoring business.

Ishtar

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57676 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/4/2013 3:30 PM
Ok, I've decided to look into moving Life Uncalculated to Wordpress, so I started setting up a Wordpress page (keeping it private while I play with it).

And I have to say, the learning curve on Wordpress is a lot higher than Blogger.

Blogger is much easier.

And Wordpress wants me to pay $30/year to change colors and fonts on a free theme page - which blogger does not.

Ishtar

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57677 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/4/2013 4:05 PM
www.lasflacas.com where I'm one of four ladies working on weight loss. I write more often than the others. But I don't know if you'd like that one.

As if I wouldn't.

Bike riding.....for real or pretend (how I earn my $$bucks)....yes.

Zumba ... say no more. Got me no rhythm.

Did you spot this...http://boards.fool.com/hey-zoningfool-30568243.aspx

How do folk know about this stuff....really??

Vivienne

P. S. does las flacas mean something?

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57678 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/4/2013 4:19 PM
It means "the skinny girls" and I have that on the right hand sidebar.

Been thinking about moving it up to the title section, though.

Ishtar

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57680 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/5/2013 7:02 AM
I'll tell you something, Diana and Jen......this blogging could sabotage weight management for me as much as a diet (I'm assuming you read about my diet attempts last year)

I'm so taken with the idea......and, of course, I'm finding more and more blogs to click onto......that it's cut down on my NEAT. Just for the heck of it, I put my pedomoeter on yesterday and, sure enough, my random movement dropped to where it was during my diet or when I' stuck doing some data entry or other paperwork for my husband.

Vivienne

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57685 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/5/2013 11:37 AM
Just a point, I know I used my real name on a couple of the blogs, but I really prefer to keep it to Ishtar here; thank you.

But yes, blogging and reading blogs is addicting.

You may want to use an aggregate reader if you start liking a lot of them. Keeping bookmarks for 30+ blogs can be annoying.

I, unfortunately, have several readers as well, and I'm trying to figure out the best one to keep for an aggregate.

There's Google reader: http://www.google.com/reader/view/

There's wordpress' reader if you join. If you join, it's right on the dashboard.

I'm also part of Networked Blogs, but the blog owner has to put their blog on there, and I'm not finding it as useful as:

Bloglovin' http://www.bloglovin.com/

You can create folders and drop blogs into the folders to keep them organized (Fitness, personal growth, finance, math, education are some of the ones I have). Latest posts show up on top of the reader, and you can have daily or weekly emails sent.

I usually look through the daily email, pick 2-3 posts that look interesting to read. When I have a day of doing nothing, I'll look through my folders to see if I missed anything earth-shattering, and then mark all read. Like, lifehacker and problogger post up to 11 times a day, and who can keep up with THAT?

Right now, I have 38 blogs I'm following on Bloglovin', and I'm starting to move some of the ones from Google reader over.

Ishtar

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57689 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/5/2013 12:59 PM
Right now, I have 38 blogs I'm following on Bloglovin'...

Jeebus....you are the HoneyBadger of blogging!

I think I'm set to catch up with you

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57690 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/5/2013 1:01 PM
That's just the ones on Bloglovin'

Doesn't count my other readers or things on the blogrolls that I forget to put on the readers or the ones on other bloggers' blogrolls that sometimes look interesting. . . .

Ishtar
(gets way too lost in blogs)

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57692 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/5/2013 1:17 PM
Doesn't count my other readers or things on the blogrolls that I forget to put on the readers or the ones on other bloggers' blogrolls that sometimes look interesting. . . .

I think I KWYM.....but, I'm
more confident that I don't

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57693 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/5/2013 1:48 PM
Blogroll. . .

Often on a sidebar, but sometimes on a separate page, of a blog, a blogger will put a list of "Blogs I read" or "Things my friends write" or something similar. That's a blogroll.

If you like a blogger, you may look at other blogs s/he reads, because you might like them, too.

It's endless, really.

The internet is gorgeously huge.

And a total timesuck.

Ishtar

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57696 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/5/2013 5:25 PM
...And a total timesuck....

Can't disagree. But you know what......the inside of my fridge looks much more like Diana's than the pre-compost server it did a few days ago.

Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57700 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/7/2013 2:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
I had no idea how to do this blogging stuff and now it seems quite do-able.......but for finding stuff to blog about.

VeeEnn,

It is TOTALLY do-able, and once you start writing you will be surprised at how many topics you can think of to cover on your blog. I actually have a list of about 12-15 potential blog post topics right now. Some of them will never see the light of day, and some of them will probably be written but not for many months (like a Christmas themed one I thought of a couple weeks ago). But since I started writing, I think of things fairly frequently. And some of my friends, including Kip, have started suggesting ideas to me.

I really have done almost nothing to promote my blog at this point, other than push the posts to my facebook page, and sometimes post a link to a relevant post to TMF. I probably get around 75-125 clicks on days I publish content, which I think is pretty cool!

d

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57704 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 8:32 AM
Write faster!!

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57705 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 10:03 AM
Recommendations: 2
OMG, really?

There's a new post this morning, and she told you her goal is 3x/week.

Writing a good, thoughtful post 3x a week when you're working a full time job and trying to have a social life is difficult. I mean, Lifehacker does multiple posts a day, but there's more than one writer and the posts are usually short. I still have no idea how Darren at ProBlogger does several posts a day, unless he's writing every spare moment of the day (of course, he doesn't have a day job).

Have you started yours yet?

Ishtar

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57706 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 10:57 AM
Recommendations: 1
Should she be too slow, pick one that has been around for awhile and start at the beginning - I suggest:

DenOfChaos (by a former TMFer)
thebloggess
hyperboleandahalf
margaretandhelen

in there are politics, kids, mental illness, crafts, knitting, Beyonce, budgeting, recipes, celebrities, miracles, simple dogs, CAKE!!!!, births, deaths, elections, sex, laughing, crying and taking-your-breath-away

peace & those should hold you for awhile
t

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57708 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 11:18 AM
you forgot - Taxidermy! (Bloggess)

Ishtar

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57710 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 11:56 AM
OMG, really?

There's a new post this morning, and she told you her goal is 3x/week.

3 posts an hour would be too slow for me, I like Diana's blog that much......that's Diana's fault not mine. She could always write worse......and then I wouldn't care.

Have you started yours yet?

Well, now you ask....

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57711 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 12:00 PM
Here's one you'll probably like; read from the beginning:

http://www.344pounds.com/

Ishtar

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57712 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 12:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
thebloggess
hyperboleandahalf
margaretandhelen

Don't forget taxidermy. The Bloggess rocks!

LWW

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57713 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 12:05 PM
Greeked you!

Ishtar

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57715 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 12:18 PM
Should she be too slow, pick one that has been around for awhile and start at the beginning - I suggest:

thebloggess
hyperboleandahalf
margaretandhelen

in there are politics, kids, mental illness, crafts, knitting, Beyonce, budgeting, recipes, celebrities, miracles, simple dogs, CAKE!!!!, births, deaths, elections, sex, laughing, crying and taking-your-breath-away

I can see why folk think Fighting Fat might be a challenge.

Peace and those who think I'm the lucky one.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57716 of 58808
Subject: Re: P.S. Diana Date: 3/11/2013 12:34 PM
Greeked you!

LOL! Yep!

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement