Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
p.s. I had to laugh at how thorough Publication 525 is:

Stolen property. If you steal property, you must report its fair market value in your income in the year you steal it unless in the same year, you return it to its rightful owner.

Apparently it can be easier to get someone on tax evasion charges than on criminal charges. I just recently (late February) had a long-distance purchase agreement that went south as soon as they received the funds. I finally threatened to report them to the IRS for potential non-reporting of the "stolen" funds. Got a phone call as soon as they got my certified letter containing a filled-out copy of the IRS reporting form.

Stinky way to have to do business, but it got the results I needed.

As another similar example, my brother, a cop, said that when they took down a methamphetamine lab they filed all the usual criminal charges and filed EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) charges. Easier to get them on something with the EPA.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.