Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mactango Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 847  
Subject: PS3 Royalties Date: 11/17/2006 8:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
About a month ago a read a few articles from different news outlets, one of them the Toronto Star, talking about the absurd price of the upcomming playstion 3. Saying how people aren't going to fork out that much money right away even for new technology, especially when they will be able to buy it on sale a few months after it's release. I immediatly rejected that theory because I know that the news and business world doesn't take into account the hardcore gamer mentality that alot of these consumers have.

Well today that theory proved wrong as the PS3 debuted across America. In fact all PS3's were sold out on the same day. Here's some of what I heard on the news, Quote: "All 1 million PS3's enroute to the US before Christmas are alraedy spoken for", and talking about Nov 17 exclusively: "All 400,000 units were sold out before you woke up." Let's see, is money really an object when it comes to gettin first dibbs on a PS3? I just heard on Fox News, some people are selling units on Ebay for on average of 2,700 dollars. 600 so far have been sold, the most expensive 8,000 dollars. And here's an exerpt from on of the recent news articles I've read...listen to what one man said that was waiting in line for a day in anticipation of the PS3 debut: "It's the next step in video games," said Furino, a 43-year-old Bridgeport resident. "It's going to take you places you never thought a video game system could take you before." Does this sound like a person that cares whether the PS3 cost 600, 800 or 1,000 dollars? Read between the lines. And finally check the story out of a 21 year that was shot buy gunmen that becuase he refused to give up his money that was to be used to buy a new PS3. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4991 Just take a minute and let that digest. Yes, that's right, a man was prepared to give his own life before he we give up his money for a game.

This console for hardcore gamers is like crack cocaine for drug addicts, I bet the unlucky people that couldn't get one are breaking into seizures and foaming at the mouth outside tech stores. The point is that some of the news journalists just don't understand that these hardcore enthusiasts care more about their pixel filled fairyland in all its eyecandy glory, than price of the system. And of course NVDA will share in profits from PS3 royalties.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement