Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18054  
Subject: PSA Compressed Air Hybrid Date: 1/25/2013 6:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
PSA Peugeot Citroen hopes to get an 18-month jump on its global rivals by using compressed air to hybridize small cars cheaply. A skunk-works team began four years ago on “Project Ghost,” an effort to create a new technology that would give PSA a competitive advantage. It built its first car employing the same hydraulic components that Airbus uses to adjust the wing flaps.

For 2016

http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/psa-plans-low-c...

Rob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SkepikI One star, 50 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17360 of 18054
Subject: Re: PSA Compressed Air Hybrid Date: 1/27/2013 12:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
As a former submarine DCA, with many years of HP air experience I have a hard time believing that the losses, weight and maintenance issues wont be a disaster in a vehicle looking for light, fast, efficient technology

Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17362 of 18054
Subject: Re: PSA Compressed Air Hybrid Date: 1/27/2013 6:09 PM
Recommendations: 0
Yeah, it's hard for me to believe as well, Skepik, but I'm aware that there are cars in India that run 100% on compressed air.

Ford built some hydraulic hybrid trucks (R&D project I believe) which might be more like what the article refers to. There, the strategy is to use hydraulic power to "launch" a heavy truck and get it going.... supposedly with significant fuel economy savings. As you might suppose, there was an accumulator with an air bladder for pressurization.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the author got the facts wrong.... most journalists are pretty shaky on technical items.

Rob

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement