UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 81344  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA question - Phil Date: 7/9/1998 1:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

<<This is a 2 parter: I've already put 1000 so far this year into my regular IRA. But, I'm switching to a ROTH IRA now. Can I still put 2k in the Roth IRA? or just 1000?

Also.. If I roll my old IRA money.. (about 5,000) into my ROTH IRA, will it be taxed when I take it out?>>

If you have already contributed $1K to a traditional IRA for 1998, then all you may contribute to a Roth for the remainder of 1998 is another $1K. The maximum allowable annual contribution limit to traditional and Roth IRAs in any one year is $2K in the aggregate, not $2K to each.

If you convert your traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, then all previously untaxed money in the traditional IRA will be taxed (but not penalized) as a result of that conversion. You may spread the income reportable on that conversion equally over the next four years if you convert by 12/31/98. That could reduce your tax burden this year if you elect to do so, but the remaining undeclared income may increase your taxes over the succeeding three years because it still must be declared and you will pay taxes based on the rates in effect in those years.


Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.