UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75782  
Subject: Re: foolish payouts: lets get real Date: 12/12/1999 4:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
pshaffer wrote,

That is what one would think, but all the withdrawal tables I have seen withdraw a percent (say 4) of the INITIAL amount, NOT of the appreciated amount. Most also have an allowance for inflation, so at year 15 you are removing an amount equal to 4% of 1M, plus a bit for inflation, not 4% of the amount available at year 15. This is the crux of my message, that the withdrawal tables do not stand my reality test, that is to say if I put myself into the 15 year situation, I'm sure not going to be taking out 60 or 70k when I could take much more perfectly safely.

You're right!

The 4% (or whatever) withdrawal is what's necessary to allow you to survive a repeat of the "Crash of 1929" happening immediately after you commence your retirement withdrawals. If the "Crash" doesn't happen, you don't have to wait 15 years. You can logically increase your withdrawal in Year 2 if your portfolio has grown in value. If your portfolio is equal to or less than the previous year's year-end balance, then the most you should withdraw is the 4% plus the inflation adjustment.

I call this the "Pay Out Period Reset Model" and I'm currently modifying the Retire Early Safe Withdrawal Calculator to test the effect of this strategy on the Terminal Values at the end of a pay out period. This method won't change the "100% safe" initial withdrawal rate, but it should reduce the Terminal Values for all but the minimum case, and allow a retiree to spend more money over the course of the pay out period. It's just that there is no way to know up front when and how much the retiree can increase the annual withdrawals.

I hope to post the "Pay Out Period Reset Model" on the Retire Early Site on Jan 1st.

intercst
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement