Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
PSUE,

Thanks. I'll consider your hops recommendation. I have 1 oz of Perle pellets on hand (unopened, in the fridge -no idea how long it will last) and figured I'd use it and something else... I'm too new to know what the differences are. It seems Fuggle seem to be popular with the style so I was thinking I'd use them subject to price/availability.

An imperial stout for a beginning brewer is good because it can hide off-flavors. It is bad for a beginning brewer because it takes time to age and the beginning is impatient to wait for bottling and drinking. You will want to age this beer in a carboy for at least one month and better at 2 months.

I'll be bottling my first Pale Ale in about a week so I'll have plenty of homebrew on-hand to keep me satiated... along with other assorted beers to keep me from diving in too early. Hopefully my stout will be good and last a while... thinking it will be one I enjoy occasionally, not so much for daily drinking. If batch two is successful, I may try a wheat or perhaps an IPA in which I'll try dry hopping.

An imperial stout for a beginning brewer is good because it can hide off-flavors. It is bad for a beginning brewer because it takes time to age and the beginning is impatient to wait for bottling and drinking. You will want to age this beer in a carboy for at least one month and better at 2 months.

I'm going to wait a few batches before buying more equipment and then may look at a burner, full boil sized kettle and wort cooler first. I aerated my wort via pouring for the first batch.

Since it is a higher gravity beer, you should pitch a little more yeast. You may want to make a starter to increase the amount that comes in a dry or liquid pouch.

This one I'm still thinking about, can I just double down on the yeast instead of making a starter? I used dry yeast, rehydrated and proofed for the first batch. It seems some of the liquid yeasts don't recommend making a starter but using $15 (two packages) of yeast for 5 gal is hard for me to stomach. Will most ale yeasts do well with the higher gravity or should I be more picky? My only real fear on this one will be a stuck fermentation (and I really have no basis for being fearful other than lack of experience).

Thanks again, this is fun.

FoolNBlue
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement