Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2450  
Subject: Psychotic Break Date: 8/13/2009 7:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I witnessed something last night that I hope I never witness again. My friend has been huffing solvents. Her favorite flavor is computer keyboard cleaners (liquid air, that stuff you spray to clear dust away).

She was admitted to an in-patient treatment program after being discovered passed-out in the bathroom at work. She had to be released after 5 days because insurance won't cover a 21-day in-patient program unless you first fail out of an out-patient program. I find this retarded beyond words. She is completely out of control.

So the plan was to get her into an out-patient program and promptly fail her, so insurance would cover the in-patient program. Did I mention that she is 100% out of control? And how retarded the insurance policy is? I left work early yesterday to be with her. We see the same shrink. My appt was at 5, and hers at 6.

She couldn't come in to my session, but I brought her to the lobby with me. I took her wallet. She had a credit card in her bag. By the time I was done, she was locked in the bathroom, huffing. Our shrink took away the can and apparently they had a good session. We went back to her place.

I went down to the lobby for a minute. When I came back up, there was loud music playing. I knocked on the door, and she let me in like there was a big party going on, big smile on her face, laughing, continuing a conversation that didn't exist with someone who didn't exist. I went in and she didn't know who I was. She claimed there were two other people in the room. She was very confused. She backed away from me, told me to stay away. She swore I was in the room before I knocked on the door. She started to get hysterical.

To anyone who hasn't had to deal with a situation like this before, congratulations. It is a completely helpless feeling. There is nothing I can say or do to calm her. I call our shrink. What do I do? She is hallucinating. Call 911, what else can you do? Meanwhile she is in the bathroom, water on, "taking a shower". I never should have let her close the door. She is laughing, or crying, like half-way in between, yelling and I swear she is yelling, "goodbye!" OMG is she cutting her wrists? I force my way in. She is huffing. Hallucinating. Drooling. Tells me to stay TF away from her. Now I'm on the phone with 911, I don't know her address, she won't tell me, I'm trying to physically stop her, she's yelling Don't touch me! They need an address. I need 4 arms. I find a prescription in the mdeicine cabiet. I get the can away from her. 911 is asking the most retarded questions. IT DOESN'T MATTER, JUST PLEASE SEND SOMEONE, RIGHT NOW. That works.

They released her from the hospital and I stayed with her until after 10. That's when Staples closes. I would really have benefitted from a sedative. It was one of the worst nights of my life. I hope she can make it through today.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement